General The Risen King

Discussion in 'Original Stories' started by Author Limitless, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Author Limitless

Author Limitless New Member

Author
    Home Page:
    The Risen King:
    By Author Limitless

Book Cover Risen King-01.jpg

Synopsis:

While the population of Earth sleeps comfortably at night their planet teeters on the edge of destruction. A separate Universe with creatures capable of leveling cities and pushing mankind to the brink of extinction exist. Only an elite few are aware of their existence, fighting for humanities survival. With time running out the blissfully corrupt society nears its end.

A young man by the name of Wen Feng is forced to join the fight for Earth’s survival. Growing up without a future he takes firm hold of the opportunity given to him. Every battle making him stronger, step by step his power grows. At earth’s darkest hour a king will rise from the ashes.

Author's Note:
    Hey, I'm excited to get started on this new novel and hope everyone enjoys it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I have written a few short stories before but this will be my first full length novel/series. For those that just read the synopsis I am well aware that the premise is fairly generic but I promise that there will be a unique twist. The first 10-15 chapters will focus more on setting up the world than introducing more characters. After the universe is properly set up with clear rules then new colorful characters will be brought in. I promise to bring an adventure filled with fantastical beasts, crazy powers, great conspiracies, and much much more!!!

Release Frequency: I plan to release a new chapter every other day, if I pick up enough readers this may increase in the future.

You can help support me by donating at https://www.patreon.com/AuthorLimitless
    or by visiting my wordpress at https://authorlimitless.wordpress.com/

Thank you for any and all support given!

2. Author Limitless

Author Limitless New Member

Author
    Home Page:
    Chapter 1. The Contract

I tried to look outside, but the fluorescent glare on the storefront window made it impossible. I could barely make out the sidewalk because of my reflection staring back at me. My hazel eyes were sunken from a lack of sleep and proper meals. My once golden brown hair is now dull and lifeless, closer to the color of mud than the color of wheat it once was. I start work before dawn and leave after dusk making my exposure to sun scarce likely the reason for my lifeless hair and overly pale skin. Days of not showering hasn’t added anything to my situation either.

I’m not a dirty person, but I haven’t had the chance to go home for a few days. Staring at my slim figure in the window, it was easy to tell I haven’t had a proper meal in a few days either.

Something cutting across my reflection startled me. An older man with a slim waist looking to be in his late forties possibly fifties appeared suddenly. Instantly I could tell it was my boss by the annoyed look on his face. He stepped into the shop and reached out his hand holding a white envelope.
    “Here’s your pay.” He said upon entering, “Because you gave away some food it’s been docked. I know you feel bad for those kids, but maybe take care of yourself before you help others.” He handed me my pay slip before walking back out the door. “Don’t forget to close up.” He yelled, slamming the door behind him. I looked at my pay for the week and my heart dropped. He took out $45 for a few bananas and packaged snacks that couldn’t have added up to more than $10. I wanted to charge out that door and confront him, yell at him, tell him about justice, but I stood there staring blankly instead. Thinking of the heroes I grew up watching on TV I couldn’t help but laugh at myself. If I were a hero my only strength would be the power of being poor: No matter what I do or how hard I work I will forever remain poor! He could imagine it now. The Super Poor Hero!

“Did you see that!” people would yell. “The Super Poor hero just won the lottery but the money combusted upon touching his hands!”

“But I thought he collected it in coins?” Another asked exasperated.

“He wouldn’t be the Super Poor hero if his powers only worked on paper money would he?” Another smugly proclaimed.

Letting out a collective wow, the crowd was once again impressed by how difficult it was for the Super Poor hero to earn money.

I let out a mocking laugh at my own delusions but it wasn’t long before my laughter turned into a sigh. My rent was due a week ago. I’ve been dodging my landlord for days now, and I even slept behind a dumpster one night. I hoped to make enough money this week to pay my landlord, even though based on my usual pay it wasn’t likely. I don’t know why I thought my shi# boss would notice all the extra work I put in this week and give me a little extra.

My pay this week was $305. My rent is $550. I get paid $350 usually every 2 weeks which should normally leave me $150 for food and utilities. This month however I’ve been docked both pay periods for giving away some food to kids from an orphanage down the street. Being an orphan myself I know what it’s like, and I can’t help but feel bad for them.

Unfortunately, neither the utility companies nor my landlord care much about sob stories. The money for utilities has an automatic withdrawal which takes out every month. A mishap occurred during this withdrawal period. They took out money for this month and next month at the same time. I called them up to see if this could be fixed but they said I would have to wait 14 days for the refund to be processed. By the time the refund processed it would be pointless so I just told them to keep the money for next month.

As if to make matters worse, my phone was stolen the next morning by some random hoodlum. I tried to run after the thief, but before I knew it he disappeared into an alley. I didn’t even catch a glimpse of his face, just long black hair trailing behind him. I couldn’t survive in the modern age without a phone, so after work that day I ended up buying a new one. How was I supposed to have guessed that my boss would have docked my pay twice this month.

If I go another 2 weeks without paying rent I’ll be kicked out. “Maybe it won’t be so bad living on the street, at least I’ll finally be able to save some money.” I murmured while locking the shop door behind me.

“It sounds like you have it tough,” a gruff voice sounded out.

Startled, I jumped back. Beside me now stood a tall man with dark skin wearing a black suit. In fact, everything he was wearing turned out to be black: black shoes, black top hat, and opaque black sunglasses. My first thought was, “Look at this idiot wearing sunglasses at night It’s a wonder he can even see me with those stupid things on. I bet he got lost walking around blinded by those idiot glasses.” While these thoughts flashed through my head, a smirk slowly spread across my face.

His voice interrupted my thoughts, “It is not good manners to ignore someone speaking to you.” As he spoke, he put his right hand into his jacket pocket.

Startled out of my inner monologue, I realized he’s right. While he looks like an idiot, that’s no reason to be rude. Could he tell I was making fun of him in my head? He just put his hand in his jacket right, isn’t that what bad guys in movies do right before they pull out a gun? If he’s some super rich jerk he might actually kill me if I’m not more polite. “Sorry,” I said giving a slight nod, a cold sweat starting to form on my back. “It’s been a long day of work and I’m really tired. I don’t even have the energy to be aware of my surroundings let alone hold a conversation. Hope you have a good night sir.” After finishing my farewell I began to walk away.

“Excuse me, you seem like someone who could use a few extra bucks. I have $1000 on me right now. Would you be interested in earning it?”
    As I spun back around I could still hear his question echoing through the street. The man slowly opened his left hand to show a stack of cash that could very well add up to $1,000. That was more than enough for me to pay rent for the month. I was about to agree before I realized that this was probably a prank. A wealthy man playing with a poor schmuck on the street for fun. Before I could say anything he stretched out his hand with the stack of cash towards me.

“The look on you face says that you need it. This is not a joke, I will really give you the money. Here take it.” At the man’s urging I took the money, momentarily forgetting about the consequences. He continued speaking. “I will give you one warning, the task will place you in mortal danger. If you survive, your life will be very different. If you happen to die, well, there isn’t much else to say. The $1,000 won’t do you much good then. You must decide now. If yes, then I will come to you when I need you. If no, then just hand back the money, and act like we’ve never met.” After he finished speaking, an eerie silence ensued. I looked around only to now realize we were completely alone. This wasn’t the busiest street, but I had never seen it completely empty before. This doesn’t feel right, but after this week I could really use the money.

“Can you tell me what I would have to do? Even just a hint?” I asked, trying to figure out whether the trouble would be worth it. While $1,000 could almost pay 2 months of rent, my life was still my life. To lose it over just rent would be a bit sad, wouldn’t it?

“I’ve already told you all I can. Make your choice!” His tone became commanding and dignified at the same time. I could almost feel it reverberating inside my head.

‘He probably wants me to move some drugs, worst case he wants me to kill someone. Fuck It. I’ve been a good guy all my life and all I’ve gotten in return is bad luck. How can I pass this opportunity up when I really have nothing else to lose? Even if I have to get my hands dirty, I can wash them later. Gold can only be found trudging through mud first.’

“Okay.” I nodded. “Whatever you need.”

An eerie smile spread across his face revealing perfect, white teeth. “Great, I just need you to drop some blood on this contract, and the money is yours to take with you.”

The man pulled out a single sheet of paper from within his jacket. ‘Guess it wasn’t a gun,’ I thought to myself silently.

At first glance it looked like a sheet of paper, but it felt more like it had been made from some kind of animal skin. Looking it over, I noticed the top of the page had some weird symbols, almost like hieroglyphics. Before I could ask what they meant the man pricked my finger with a silver needle and a bit of my blood was dropped onto the bottom of the page.

I felt a sudden rush of dizziness, and a strange voice rang out in my head. The odd sensation caused me to fall to one knee. “What did you just do to me?!” I yelled, my voice trembling ever so slightly.

The man smiled at me once again before slowly walking into the alley behind him.

I tried to stand up only to stumble into a dumpster. After taking a moment to regain my balance, I looked up only to find a dead end. The mysterious man was gone, leaving me with a wad of cash and a myriad of questions. “I already made up my mind before I took the money. Even if I have to climb a mountain of blades or tread through a sea of fire I must make good my word. Who knows what would happen to me if I didn’t.” An involuntary tremble coursed through me as I muttered that last line under my breath.

I pushed myself away from the dumpster only to find a strange and foul smelling liquid was plastered to my shirt. A long sigh escaped my lips as I looked at the mysterious liquid in dismay. “If a shirt is all I have to sacrifice for $1000 I’ll consider today a success.” I stopped by an ATM on the way back to my apartment to cash my check.

“WEN FENG!” I heard my name shouted the moment I arrived in front of my apartment door. I turned around to see a large man with a baseball bat held menacingly over his right shoulder. “I’ve been waiting a week for rent, I hope you aren’t planning on sneaking away again!”

“Mr. Shen, I’ve been trying to find you all week!” I said with an innocent smile. “I’ve had the money for rent on me all the time in case I ran into you. In fact, I have this month and next month’s rent ready to go!” I held out the wad of cash I just received, plus a portion of my check.

Mr. Shen, who a moment ago looked like he was about to beat my skull in suddenly became all smiles. “Feng! My good brother Feng! Ah, I just knew you weren’t up to anything funny. Both months rent’s at once, such a generous man! Ah, but unfortunately there is a late fee of $200 for this month. I’m sure you understand.”

“Mr. Shen, this money is all I have, and I really have been looking for you all week.” I said a bit nervously, considering every word was a complete lie.

“Ah ah ah. Feng, my good brother Feng, how can you say such things? Looking for me all week, I’ve been staking out your room all week, how could you have missed me? Then on payday you suddenly come to find me? I could kick you out and keep the money. We wouldn’t want that would we, my good brother Feng? It’s just $200, how about you give me some face and just pay it now, I’d hate to lose another tenant.” A vicious smile bloomed across his face, the grip on his bat noticeably growing tighter.

I just signed away my life for money, and now I’m trading money for life. So be it. I reached into my pocked and handed him everything but my last $5. “This is really it, I’ve paid the late fee and next month’s rent in advance. Can I go now?”

The smile on Mr. Shen’s face widened and his grip on the bat loosened again. “Of course, of course! My good brother Feng, how can I possibly bar you from your own home? Ah, just one thing. The inside, it’s a bit messy. A few things fell over while I was looking for you. It shouldn’t be too big a deal for you though, after all, brother Feng is such a resourceful man!” after a few insidious laughs, Mr. Shen walked away.

Looking at my door from the outside, everything seemed to be okay, but upon entering my apartment the first thing I noticed was my small TV, or at least what was left of it. Shattered glass covered my now deflated air mattress. The few dishes and cups I had were also smashed. The fridge was open with the little food I had splattered across the floor. I just signed my soul away to keep living here for 2 more months. Maybe being homeless really isn’t that bad an idea.

I walked over to the least messy corner, and began to push broken pieces of glass away so that there was enough room to sleep. When I was almost done, a small piece that was hidden in the carpet cut open my thumb. “Dammit, this fucking day is never going to end.” I punched the wall. A small crack appeared, and my knuckles turned red from the pain. I took a second to bring my emotions under control before I finished moving the rest of the glass.

After washing off my thumb, I walked over to my glass free corner and curled into a ball on the floor. Tears began to streak down my face as I laid there starting at the wall. “What is a man without dignity?” I asked myself in my head. “If I had a mirror right now I could at least see what it looked like.” I said aloud mockingly.

Lying there on the floor my thoughts wandered. Life is tough. Every day I work, I don’t do anything bad, I try to be good to other people, and this is what I have to show for it. Fuck them. If goodwill is dead then so be it. No matter what it takes I will make more money. Only when I have sufficient money and power will good nature and justice mean anything. Slowly my rage was overtaken by fatigue. I soon drifted off into a restless sleep with my new vow weighing heavily on my heart.