Nameless Immortal chap 51 Book 2

Discussion in 'Original Stories' started by NotNice, Nov 5, 2017.

1. NotNice

NotNice Member

Chapter 40
    Chapter 40 They are on a Highway to Hell

The set-up was the same as the one located in Sin City, but this one was a bit wider. Cells with wooden doors lined up on both sides of the underground hallway. Hans opened them one by one and put a girl in each cell.

The girls were whimpering and curled themselves up when they entered their respective ‘rooms’. Hans did not care and led Eznho at the end of the hallway, unlike before, this one had two doors. It was obviously for the father and son.

Hans knocked the door on the right and waited for a response.

“Come in,” Butchog’s voice came from inside filled with excitement.

He opened the door showing a dimly lit room, an incense was producing smoke bringing a strong aroma that was too strong making him wrinkle his nose. A bed was located at the center covered with thin curtains. Butchog’s silhouette was inside holding a cup of wine.

Eznho was not moved but from the corner of his eyes, he saw an unmoving naked young girl laying down on the cold floor. It was undetermined if she was dead or alive, this added to Eznho’s anger.

This perverted bastard!

“Bring her here and tie her up, I want to see how long can she last,” Butchog instructed.

Hans brought a rope from the side and tied Eznho’s feet and hands. He then carried ‘her’ and put him down on the bed, it was soft but it smelled weird, a combination of all sorts of smell. If one has a weak stomach, he would vomit.

“Good, now bring out that girl and dispose of her, she’s too boring,”

He gulped down his wine then threw the cup on the floor. Hans was used to this scene so he was not disturbed at all, carrying the girl, he closed the door and left the two in inside the room.

“Let’s start the party shall we,”

Butchog spoke with great enthusiasm and showed a disgusting face. He rolled over with his fat body and sat on top of Eznho’s stomach. Sweat and oily secretions were coming out of his body fold giving him a sickening look.

“Yehahaha, who’s your daddy now?”

Pak!

He maniacally laughed then slapped Eznho’s face and put his hand all over Eznho’s body making him tremble in humiliation.

“Come on, show me more! Show me that feisty attitude of yours, hahaha.” He continued to do the same things and kept on slapping Eznho.

Eznho, on the other hand, was trying his best to suppress his rage. He was waiting for time to pass by and estimated when Hans would exit the basement. His eyes were already becoming red.

“Yehahaha, that’s more I like it, what I want most is taming wild little girls like you,”

Butchog seemed to be in a trance and his face looked like he was in ecstasy, he even started to drool.

Damn it all!

Eznho could not contain it any longer and circulated his energy in full force breaking the formation immediately, revealing his true appearance.

“Eh?”

Butchog who was having the time of his life was jolted back to reality. The girl he was intoxicated with suddenly became a boy.

“What the hell? Who are-“

Before he could finish his question, Eznho snapped the ropes and moved his body making Butchog roll on the other side of the bed. He jumped and sat on top of the fat man while making him tremble in fear.

“You sick bastard! You are a disease that needs to be irradicated!”

“Wai-“ Butchog clung to life but it was no use.

Eznho let out his fury then using his left hand he reached out for the jade hairpin holding his hair. Butchog knew what Eznho wanted to do and started to struggle but it was no use.

“Burn in hell!”

Eznho spoke hoarsely and stabbed the space between Butchog’s clavicle. Blood spurted out when he retracted the hairpin. Butchog’s eyes widened and tried to stop the bleeding with his hands.

“Glurrggg!”

He wanted to speak but instead of a voice, blood came out of his mouth. Eznho was not yet satisfied, he was still seething with anger so he stabbed the fat man’s body multiple times making blood splash on him.

“Haaa, Haaa,”

After stabbing the man for more than twenty times, he stopped and looked around. Blood stained the curtains while the bed was soaked with it. Butchog’s wounds were still oozing with blood when he finally calmed down after a while.

“Damn, I forgot to ask about the girl,” His mind became clear again and finally remembered his mission.

Wait, there is another door on the left.

He was feeling frustrated when he remembered that there were two doors. He looked at Butchog’s body again and even spat on it, he was really disgusted.

“Serves you right,” He spoke with disdain.

A basin of water was on the table so he washed his bloody face, after that, he slowly walked towards the door and tried to listen. He could faintly hear the whimper of the girls but aside from that, there was nothing.

He silently opened the door and only saw the dim hallway. Confirming that there was no guard, he walked out the door then closed it again. He then turned and went in front of the other door and slowly opened it.

“Hey, Blue? Yohoo! Your knight has come back, are you ready for another round?”

Taba was happily walking towards a naked young girl who was tied up on the bedside. Her back and several parts of her body were riddled with scars due to knife wounds, one could only imagine the pain and suffering she felt.

“Come on now, don’t be rude and greet your knight in shining armor,”

Taba spoke as if he was a husband coming home to his wife, he walked towards the girl and held her chin up.

“Look at you, you are more beautiful than ever,” He spoke with sarcasm as he laughed in delight.

The face of the young girl was also filled with scars with different sizes. Her face now was far from the young cheerful girl Eznho met a couple of years ago. Her eyes now were lifeless, it was like her soul left her fleshly body.

She has been suffering from Taba’s hands ever since they came to Red Sparrow City. Never in her imagination that they would do something like this. At first, she was stubborn and showed resistance, she was hopeful that her father would rescue her.

But as time went by, the suffering became unbearable, she could not take it anymore so she just shut her senses and let Taba do whatever he wanted. Every time she was cut, Taba would apply medicine to her wound and the cycle repeated for days.

“You’re giving up already? Where is that stubborn attitude of yours? You think you can just reject me? Hmph!” Taba looked at her and shook his head.

“Nobody will love you now except me, sigh, too bad, you can’t see how awesome I am. Blue, oh, Blue, if you only accepted my feelings from the start, this would not have happened,”

He started walking towards one of the tables and took the knife on top of it.

“Are you ready Blue? It’s time for you to feel my love again,”

He was walking towards the girl when the door slowly opened.

Creak!

“Who is it? I told you not to disturb me during my-“

He was dissatisfied with the disturbance but stopped speaking when he saw who opened the door.

“Who are-“

Shock and fear overwhelmed him, a boy was standing by the door but he was wearing a pink dress, it was rather comical if not for the blood and the scary look on his face. His eyes were so cold, Taba could feel his body shivering.

He could not even recognize Eznho due to panic and pointed his knife towards him. Shouting would do nothing either, the basement was isolated by a formation for privacy reasons. Never could he imagine that this place would be infiltrated. After all, a mid-stage Halo cultivator was guarding outside.

“Do-don’t come near me or I-I will kill you!”

Despite his cowardice, he tried to show courage when Eznho started walking towards him while he slowly backed-up.

“Damn you!”

His body was shivering non-stop but he forced himself and actually rushed forward and slashed his knife. Of course, it was no use, Eznho easily dodged sideways and lifted his foot then hit Taba’s stomach with his knee.

“Blerggghh!”

Taba vomited fluids due to the impact, he let go of his knife while he fell down the floor. His body curled like a shrimp and both his hands were holding his stomach. Eznho just looked at him apathetically then kicked him hard making Taba crash on the table. Bones were broken and his head was bleeding, he was barely hanging onto his consciousness.

Eznho shifted his attention to the naked young girl and felt pity, she walked towards her while feeling sorrowful for her.

Sigh!

“I am here to rescue you, don’t worry you are safe now,”

Eznho tried to speak with her and untied the rope, he could see the scar-filled body and face. He could still remember the energetic girl he met years ago, compared to that, the girl in front of him was a puppet. He looked around and saw a fur coat and used it to cover her.

“Let’s go, can you walk?”

He still tried to initiate communication, to his surprise, the girl slightly nodded.

“Okay, let us go,”

The girl weakly walked while Eznho assisted her, but a while later she stopped in front of the knife that had fallen earlier and slowly picked it up. Eznho was surprised but did not stop her, he had an idea what she wanted to do. In fact, deep inside he wanted her to do it, it would be a form of release for her. Few people would move on with their lives without obtaining revenge.

“Wha-what do you think you’re doing?”

Taba weakly spoke while dragging himself away from the girl, she even stumbled in front of him. While down on the floor, she raised her hand and stabbed the knife of Taba’s foot.

“Eeyaahh!” Taba squealed like a dying pig.

“Huff, huff, you think you can get away with this? You and your families are both dead!”

His consciousness was fully awakened due to the pain and even had the time to threaten. To his disappointment, the two people in front of him did not even show a reaction. Blue slowly stood up and moved closer to Taba.

“Stay away from me, you bitch!”

Taba was scared stiff and he started to sob while snot came out of his nose mixing with his tears and blood. Blue ignored him and sat on top of him, he could not shake her off due to his previous injuries so he was easily subdued by her.

A creepy smile formed on Blue’s face and stabbed his shoulder joint and twisted it making him scream in agony.

“Pleasssh, stop, I’m sorry, pleassshh stop,”

Taba was begging with a pitiful appearance and was still trying to cling to life despite his hopeless situation. Blue ignored his pleadings and pulled out the knife then pointed it at his chest and slowly pushed it making blood flow. She then started to slice Taba’s chest.

“Eaahhhh!”

Taba could not handle the pain and wailed with great intensity. He continued to cry as more and more wounds were being cut into his skin and face. His cries became hoarse after minutes of screaming.

“You miserable pig, no, pigs are even better than you. You are simply a demon in a human form,”

Blue started to sob and with all her strength she started to stab Taba’s chest and even his face. It was a gory scene, Eznho who was watching from the side sighed and held the girl’s hand to stop her.

“He’s already dead, no need to waste any more effort on him,”

He could not deny the fact that the fat kid deserved what he got but stabbing a dead body would only be a waste of energy. She already vented enough and this would at least alleviate the burden she feels.

“Please kill me,”

Blue continued to sob and looked at Eznho with eyes full of shame and sorrow. One could only imagine what she feels right now, she was tortured and humiliated for days. Eznho’s heart twitched but did not let his emotion get the better out of him.

“No, you decide what to do with yourself after we get out of here. I understand how you feel but you still have a family right? I am sure they are waiting for you to come home. No matter what happened to you, they will welcome with open arms, that I am sure,”

He tried to console her and got the knife out of her hand while the girl continued to cry.

“Let’s go, we don’t have much time,”

Blue slowly got up then wobbled and fell down uncontrollably but Eznho caught her in time. She had lost consciousness due to exhaustion, mind and body. He just shook his head and carried her while she was covered with a fur coat.

2. NotNice

NotNice Member

Chapter 41
    Chapter 41 Mission Accomplished

Enzho walked through the hallway with blood dripping from him and Blue while whimpers echoed making the place eerie. He found a stool and laid down Blue carefully, making sure not to hurt her in any way. Looking at the closed doors, he began breaking the locks one by one. The girls were scared by his appearance but he reassured them and told them that he was here to help.

He released nine girls in total, the same girls he was with before. They somewhat recognized the dress but was confused because the body inside was a boy instead of a girl. Eznho felt their strange gaze but did not bother to explain.

“Alright, wait here first, okay? I’ll check things outside first.”

The girls nodded in response and gathered around Blue who was still unconscious. They felt pity and fear at the same time when they looked at her horrible appearance.

Will that be our future?

Everyone thought the same thing and looked at Eznho who was carefully ascending the stairs, their eyes full of hope. Nobody wanted to end up like the unconscious girl.

Eznho reached the black door and tried to listen, he narrowed his eyes and concentrated but he couldn’t hear a thing. Taking a gamble, he opened the door very slowly but was surprised by what he saw.

Two guards were lying on the floor, he was unable to determine whether they were dead or alive. He had a suspecting look but carefully approached them. Using the tip of the knife, he tried to poke one of them but met with no response. He checked again and found out that they were still alive.

Was it senior Talong?

He could not think of any other reason because Talong promised that he would assist him in his escape. Looking carefully, he recognized Hans, he wanted to kill the man but a thought occurred to him. If he would kill Hans, people might suspect why he was the only guard who died which might possibly lead to him so he let go of the idea. He was not a naive young boy anymore, he had more or less had his own fair share of experiences.

Next time,

Ignoring the guards, he checked his surroundings but nobody seemed to be patrolling the area so he went back to the basement and picked up the girls. Carrying Blue, they slowly followed the path they took before, more unconscious guards showed up. Eznho was thankful, it would have been impossible for them to escape if those guards were awake.

They reached the door that leads to the outside after nearly half an hour of tip-toed walking. He opened the door carefully again just for precaution and was frightened when he saw a cloaked person waiting outside. His face was covered, he could only tell that it was a man.

“It’s me,” The cloaked person spoke in a relaxed manner.

“Senior T-“

He was about to say his name when the man raised his index finger indicating him to stop talking. Eznho got the message and smiled apologetically. The girls followed outside and were also surprised upon seeing the cloaked person but Eznho told them not to worry.

Realizing that the mission is nearly done, Eznho had a complicated look on his face. He was conflicted on what to do with the girls, he could not take them in even if he wanted to. It would certainly lead to disaster.

“Thank you, benefactor, for saving us, you don’t have to worry about us. I know we were just rescued due to that poor girl. May I know benefactor’s name?”

One of the girls gathered all her courage and spoke. Her sparkling brown eyes showed intelligence, despite what happened she was able to compose herself.

“I’m sorry, I can’t,” Eznho answered her with a helpless smile.

“I understand, my name is Vilma, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

The girl understood Eznho’s predicament so he committed his face to the depth of her soul. She would never forget the face of the boy who saved him.

Talong waved his hand and small rays of light entered the girls’ forehead making their eyes blank.

“Let’s go,” Talong was not moved in any way and held Eznho’s shoulder. They disappeared in a flash.

The girls were still standing but after a while, they regained their consciousness. They showed confused expressions but Vilma took the lead and urged the girls to get out of the place.

A few seconds later, the trio appeared in a courtyard. Eznho felt dizzy then immediately tossed Blue to Talong and actually vomited, it took awhile before he composed himself and observed his surroundings. Talong waved his hand at the same time and sealed the place for the time being.

“Eh? I am home?”

The place looked familiar, after confirming that he was really at home, he looked at Talong. He did not know what he did to the girls but he was sure Talong did not hurt them.

“What now, senior Talong?”

“Good job on your mission, you now sort of understand the limits of what you can do. It is okay to give a helping hand to others when you can but do not go to the extent that it will threaten your life. I am not saying that you become a cold person, a human without emotion is no longer a human. This is just how the world works.”

Talong showed his approval on Eznho’s performance, he was actually observing the whole time.

“What happens to them now?” Eznho was still worried about them.

“Who knows? At least they would not suffer like this little girl. Let’s just leave it up to fate,”

Talong answered shaking his head while looking at the poor unconscious girl.

“Alright, it is time for us to part little boy. This is your reward, every mission has its reward you know.”

He grinned and tossed three items, one brown card and two nine-inched curved daggers. The daggers were simply designed but it was obvious that it was made from better materials than the previous weapons Eznho had used.

“You know how to use the bank card, don’t you? As for the daggers, they are low-grade magical weapons. You can only utilize them properly once you reach the Halo Stage. I won’t give you a precious material as it will only attract trouble. It's better for you to seek one on your own.”

Eznho caught the items and bowed.

“Thank you, senior,”

“No need for that, as I have said, every mission has its reward,” Talong responded nonchalantly.

“Alright, take this,” He gave another item to Eznho.

It was a round badge with an engraving of a horseshoe in the middle. One the top arch, ‘red’ was written while at the bottom was ‘horse’. Eznho had a guess on what this is, it must be a symbol of a group where Talong belongs.

“When you reach Mercenary City in the future, you can find me using that badge. Do not even attempt to go find me without reaching the Seeker Stage. Alright, this is farewell, little boy, let’s drink when we meet next time. Also, educate yourself, you still do not know many things about the outside world. One last thing, don’t even bother to come if you are past twenty years old and still had not become a Seeker Stage Cultivator.”

Feeling that Talong is about to leave Eznho still had a lot of questions.

“Wait-“

“Little boy, there are questions you have to find the answer for yourself. As for the siblings, I can only tell you that they have a great background, as for whether it would be a blessing or a disaster, that would depend on your luck. I almost forgot, hide your ring and never show it to anybody else, it would only bring you disaster.”

Talong spoke without letting Eznho interrupt and just disappeared in a flash. Eznho just stood there in silence unable to process all the information he just received. The parting was too soon, he could only sigh in regret.

“Is that you big brother?”

Budoy’s voice came from a corner. He was waiting the whole time for Eznho and let the girls sleep. It was dark and he could only see a silhouette so he was cautious and even had a dagger concealed on his back.

“It’s me Budoy, why are you still up?”

Eznho put the issue at the back of his mind and walked out into the light startling Budoy.

“What happened? Are you alright?”

Budoy almost jumped in fright when he saw Eznho’s bloody appearance who was still wearing the pink dress.

“Ah? This? I’m alright, it’s not my blood,” Eznho grinned and reassured Budoy.

“Who’s is it?” He blurted out.

“Evil people who deserve to die,” Eznho answered vaguely.

“Okay, you should take a bath before aunt Minchin or little Aiza will see you,” Budoy did not ask further about the details. All he cared about was Eznho’s safety at the moment.

“Great idea, you should go sleep now, no need to worry about me,” Eznho grinned and patted Budoy’s shoulder then went to take a bath.

After washing himself up he put in new clothes while the pink dress dissipated on its own, it was a separate formation so it only vanished when the energy maintaining it ran out. He did not go to sleep and cultivated instead to clear his mind and make a plan for the future. As for all his questions, all would be answered in due time.

According to Talong, there is only a small chance that the death of the father and son would be traced back to him. Even so, he had to make preparations just in case.

The inner district, a small mountain was wholly occupied by the River Clan.

A young man was meditating inside a hall, in front of him were hundreds of life tablets. On the very top was a single life tablet, it was the life tablet of their ancestor, below it was the life tablets of the direct descendants followed by another series of life tablets. The lower the placement of the life tablet was, the lower the status in the family. Of course, the family had thousands of members but not everyone had the right to place his or her life tablet in the hall.

Crack!

A sound he had not heard in a long time passed through his ears. He was one of the caretakers here and life tablets rarely broke, and when it does most of it were on the bottom so he subconsciously looked at the bottom part.

“Huh?”

He was surprised when he did not see any broken tablet and started to look upwards and to his horror, the broken tablet belonged to the direct descendants just below the ancestor.

Shit! What kind of bad luck is this?

He started to sweat bullets and was speechless for a long time, he heard rumors that the ancestor was attempting a breakthrough and if he were to report now it might have an effect, directly or indirectly.

“I should just report it to the elder,”

He gritted his teeth and sent a message through the message talisman. A couple of minutes later, an old man came through the door with a gloomy face.

“Which tablet was it?”

“Bong greets elder, it was lord Butchog’s life tablet,” The young man greeted with respect and answered nervously.

A trace of relief showed in the elder’s face but the young man did not see it.

It’s not as bad as it seems, although he is a direct and a pampered descendant. His death would not impact the clan’s future.

The elder did not have a good relationship with Butchog, in his point of view, he was just a wastrel and was a disgrace to the family including his son who nearly brought a calamity to the clan years ago. Of course, despite his disapproval, he did not show it in public because both Butchog and his son were pampered by his father and brother.

“I’ll report it...”

Crack!

Before he could finish his sentence another tablet broke apart, it was the life tablet of Taba.

Crap! What in the world happened?

This time, he also had a bad feeling and even got nervous. The father and son maybe wastrels but they were still direct descendants.

“Stay here and update me if anything happens,”

He scowled and ordered Bong making him nod in succession. Wasting no time, he dashed and went to a secret location where the ancestor would attempt his breakthrough.

Inside a hidden location in the property of the River Clan, the grand elder, elders, Killboy and the current clan leader were seated in a lotus position. They were guarding a door, this wooden door was carved with a flowing river, it was the entrance to the pocket realm of the family. It is where their valued treasures were stored and a place to be used when someone important in the family where about to make a breakthrough.

Bang!

The door suddenly opened making everyone open their eyes.

“What is it elder John? You should be in charge of the affairs outside. You know this is an important event.”

The clan leader spoke with a displeased tone.

“Sorry for the intrusion everyone, I have an urgent matter to report,” Elder John spoke hastily.

“Speak,” The clan leader spoke with a commanding tone that brought a pressure making elder John nervous.

“Earlier the one in charge of the life tablet hall reported that a direct descendant’s tablet had broken and...”

Before he could finish his speech, Killboy’s pupil shrunk and interrupted the elder.

“Who’s life tablet was it?” He immediately asked because the first thing that came to his mind was his son who was studying at the Royal Academy.

“It was lord Butchog and young lord Taba,” Elder John spoke with fear, he may be an elder but he was at the lowest rank due to his cultivation.

“What!!?? Say that again!” This time, it was the clan leader who spoke with disbelief and stood up.

3. NotNice

NotNice Member

Chapter 42
    Chapter 42 Report

The clan leader was a healthy middle-aged man with a short beard and a mustache. His long hair was simply tied on his back, he may look middle-aged but he was already over two-hundred years old and was only half-a-step from forming his dao.

Forming the dao invites a heavenly tribulation that may result in death that is why he has been delaying it in order to increase his chance of succeeding. Besides, he still got time because cultivators at the Seeker stage can live up to five hundred years depending on the circumstances. His name was Zander River.

Despite his calm demeanor, the sudden news of the death of his son and grandson brought him a great shock. His body flickered and arrived in front of Elder John making him stumble on his butt.

“Tell me exactly what happened?”

Elder John stood up and reported every detail, the others were also surprised by the news but did not overreact. They had the same ill feelings towards the father and son. But of course, they could not just let this matter go, they were still a direct descendant after all.

“Father, let me go investigate,” Killboy stood up and spoke with a serious expression.

His brother and nephew may not have been good people but they were still his family and he loved them.

“No, this is not the time, we have to stay here and guard father,” Zander took a deep breath and did not let emotions cloud his judgement.

“Elder John, go investigate, I want the full details as soon as possible,”

“I will go immediately,” Elder John bowed and immediately headed to the middle district without delay.

“Killboy, I know how you feel but father’s breakthrough is more important. We will fully investigate what happened after all this is done,” Zander patted Killboy’s shoulder and went back to his spot to adjust his mindset.

“Yes, father,” Killboy acknowledged and did the same.

The others did not comment and just watched from the sidelines. The final decision would be made after the ancestor’s breakthrough.

Batista, Wilky and Wilfred were staying at an inn inside the middle district. They were feeling jumpy since it was almost a month after Wilky contacted the Black Crows member, especially for Batista who was walking to and fro. He could not even sleep properly for the past days.

“Brother Wilky, are you sure that the man you spoke with will succeed?”

“Brother, I don’t know how they work but according to reports, they rarely fail on their mission. I even think that they have the ability wipe the River family from the surface of the earth if they wanted to. We still have time to wait, if the worst scenario happens and he fails, hmph! Who cares about the rules.”

Wilky had a determined look, which made Batista feel warm inside. Wilky would go side by side with Batista when he would force his way in. But for now, he was still hoping that that event would not come to fruition as it will surely create a big mess which could lead to their banishment from the military or worse, execution.

“Thank you, brother, I owe you big time,”

Batista spoke in a gratified manner.

“Stop talking like that – who’s there?”

The trio became alert and got ready for battle, they were staring at the corner of the room where the light could not reach creating a shadow. A second ago, they felt their spine tingle, it was a subconscious reaction born from hundreds of battles they fought. Cold sweat was starting to form on their back, they felt that a beast was hiding in the shadows ready to devour them at any moment.

A figure came out concealed by a cloak, he was carrying a little girl with him covered with a fur coat.

“Blue!?”

Batista blurted out when he saw the little girl, he started to get agitated and wanted to rush to get to her but his senses told him that the man who was carrying his daughter was dangerous.

To his surprise, Blue started to float towards him. He calmed himself down and started to walk slowly to meet his daughter. Upon looking at his daughter’s face, his pupils shrunk and he started to tremble all over.

“Blue, What happened to you?” His voice was cracking and he hugged his daughter tightly.

“I am so sorry, your father is useless, forgive me my little Blue.” He started to cry uncontrollably when he saw his daughter’s condition. His heart was wracked with pain as if it was being stabbed multiple times.

Her face was riddled with scars, but unlike before, they were wiggling like worms and started to heal and disappear slowly.

“I already put medicine on her. Let her rest and she will be okay. If she is able to pass this ordeal...”

The man in cloak spoke in a hoarse voice but did not continue and started to walk back in the shadows.

“Thank you, senior,” Batista looked at the departing figure and spoke with sincerity.

“Just repaying an old debt, I still owe one more. You can contact any member of the Black Crows near you in the same manner as before.”

The hoarse voice faded and disappeared. Wilky and Wilfred were on guard the whole time, ready to take action if anything suspicious happened. They only let out a breath of relief when the man disappeared.

“What does he mean ‘debt’?”

Wilfred had a confused look and asked Wilky.

“It is a long story, first we should take care of little Blue first,”

Wilky grinned and went to look at Blue and had the same reaction as Batista. The trio scanned her and found out that her body was full of old wounds that were healing which made them tremble in fury. They wanted to attack immediately but their priority now was to make sure the girl was okay.

“Butchog, just you wait, I’ll make sure you repay this a thousand times,”

Batista was gritting his teeth while watching her daughter who was resting on a bed.

Elder John rushed to the middle district after receiving the order. He directly entered the residence of Butchog and found out that everyone was unconscious. Without delay, he went to the basement and found the father and son’s corpse. His face was uncomfortable despite his experiences, their body were mutilated badly. It was obvious that the person who killed them were filled with hate.

“What a mess...”

He shook his head, covered the corpses with cloth and stored them in his spatial ring. After collecting their corpses, he went to a room where Joey was located. Joey was at the late stage of the Halo Realm and was assigned to watch over Taba and Butchog. Elder John used his means but still could not awaken the unconscious Joey.

Leaving him no choice, he carried him on his back and went back to the inner district without delay to report what he saw.

Talong went back to Batawa Restaurant and continued to drink alone. He finished everything he needed to do here and was ready to depart for Mercenary City.

A pity, they did not give me the mission to further pursue the holder of the golden core. This trip took a lot of turns and even gave me entertainment.

The mission was given by the city lord of Red Sparrow City, sadly it did not go as Talong wanted.

Times are changing, peaceful times are over and chaos is starting again. I hope that that kid survives, also, that little girl, if she will get over this trial, it will give her a lot of benefits. Ahh, the spring of youth, how envious.

He gulped another cup and continued to watch the street like before.

The next day, Eznho and the group ate breakfast with a happy atmosphere. After that, he went to the bank with Minchin and made her the owner of the brown card which contained five thousand gold coins. Minchin refused at first but Eznho insisted, his reason is that he may go in and out of the city in the coming days so she had to manage everything. Naturally, she could not decline any more.

Eznho and Budoy were sipping tea in the open courtyard under the shade of a tree. It was time for them to plan their next course of action on how to maintain their footing inside the district.

“Any luck?” Eznho directly inquired.

“So far, I have gotten a lot of information, of course, sensitive topics are not that easy to obtain,” Budoy answered with a proud face and started to summarize the information.

“As you requested, I have inquired around about how people obtained money and apparently the most common for cultivators to do is become a mercenary and complete missions to obtain rewards. Being a mercenary, you can generally do any mission that is available like escorting a caravan and the like. Of course, missions available for you would depend on your rank, the lowest is rank E, as for the highest, I have no idea, maybe A?”

Budoy scratched his head while grinning.

“You can also become a specialist, for example, a bounty hunter, a medicine collector, a treasure hunter, a dungeon guide, and many others. Specialists are especially sought after by clients when they want something specific to be done. They can also be considered mercenaries, just with specific skills, and of course, a badge is needed as a proof of it which can be obtained in any mercenary branch. Accordingly, their headquarters is the Mercenary City which is located far up north in the middle of the continent. As for the distance, I have no idea.”

Hmm?

Eznho was surprised when he heard Mercenary City.

Was he a mercenary? A specialist?

He thought about Talong and could not help but wonder.

“You can become a mercenary by applying in any branch and passing a series of tests. Also, you can either go solo, form a group or join a group. Some of the missions need to be done by a group that is why mercenary groups were created and besides it is easier to finish a mission with the help of others. Well, groups also need rank, as for how they rank it, I don’t know the specifics.”

Budoy was speaking but at the same time, his mind was wandering.

What would it be like to travel and accomplish missions, braving dangers and saving damsels in distress?

Eznho saw the daydreaming face of Budoy and flicked his finger to his forehead.

“Ouch! What did you do that for, big brother?” Budoy woke up from his daze.

“Stop dreaming and continue,” Eznho answered him with teasing smile.

“Ah? Sorry about that,” Budoy felt embarrassed and continued the report. He flipped through the papers and stopped on a specific page.

“Here it is, according to my investigation, the highest paying job is becoming an assassin. This job is, of course, dangerous and secretive so there is not much information about it. But every city has a branch of the Thieve’s Guild which is the mediator between a client and an assassin or an assassin group or organization. The one here in Red Sparrow City is located in the outer district, as for how to become a member, I am also in the dark.”

Budoy obviously held fear and trepidation regarding the Thieve’s Guild. This was normal, after all, they work in the dark and were highly skilled at killing people.

Thieve’s guild huh?

Eznho could not help but remember Talong again, he remembered the brief moment when Talong seemed to become a sharp weapon that could kill him with just a look.

Ah, whatever, he seemed to be a good guy, besides, it is not my business.

After thinking for a moment, he tossed the thought at the back of his mind.

“As for non-cultivators, they could only become servants or workers. It is rare for mortals to have wealth unless they become a merchant that could hire cultivators or have a noble lineage. For the other information, they are all here.”

Budoy finished his report and handed out his notebook to Eznho.

“Thank you, Budoy, you have done a great job,”

Eznho genuinely praised Budoy, he really did work hard.

“No big deal,” Budoy casually spoke but could not hide his proud face.

The two continued to chat for a while about other things, they enjoyed the moment. They both knew that from this moment, it would be hard for them to have a chat like this.

Eznho took a deep breath after reading all the reports that Budoy had written in his notebook. Half of them were miscellaneous but it did contain a great amount of important information.

It is time for me to also forge my path.

He could not help but feel excited and look forward to the adventures that he would have in the future.

4. NotNice

NotNice Member

Chapter 43
    Chapter 43 Knowledge is Power Again?

Elder John had been rushing from the middle district to the inner district and immediately reported what he saw to the clan leader. Looking at the horrid appearance of his son and grandson, he could not help but feel pain and anguish for his loss. The others just watched from the sidelines and did not feel sympathy for the duo. Killboy, on the other hand, was gritting his teeth, he wanted to investigate immediately but was stopped again by his father.

Zander tried to wake Joey up but failed which made him furrow his brows.

“The one who made them unconscious made some sort of a seal on their consciousness and would eventually wake up in due time. Forcefully waking them up would end up destroying their consciousness. It is for the best if we wait for the meantime. Experts that could do this should be at least at the Dao Formation Realm.”

Everyone sucked in cold air when they heard Zander’s assessment.

“Clan Leader, was it them?” The Grand Elder asked.

“I doubt that but there is a high chance that this was an attack by a highly skilled assassin, what confuses me is that why are the wounds like this?”

Zander was wracking his brain as to why would the perpetrator would do this kind of killing. Was he some sort of a masochist? Or did the father and son offended another behemoth?

“Let’s just wait and see after Joey wakes up. Father’s breakthrough is our priority for us to maintain our standing inside the city. Seal the news as much as possible, our next move would be decided by father,”

Everyone agreed and nodded in response, Elder John was dismissed and went back to his assigned duty.

Eznho woke up with great enthusiasm and was ready to go to the public library to obtain more information. He did not have anyone to teach him so he had to rely on himself to learn the things he needed to know. He did not want to burden Budoy so he decided to do the task himself.

The library was a massive building that had three floors which was located in the inner part of the middle district. Eznho reached the place after walking for two hours and people were going in and out of the building, some were scholars while others looked like they came from a noble background.

He entered without delay and his eyes widened with what he saw inside. Five-meter tall bookshelves were aligned inside a wide hall filled with countless books. Tables and chairs were arranged at the side for the reader to use. He took a deep breath and his nose was assaulted by the smell of wood and books. People were inside doing different things, some were reading while others were discussing things about the book they were reading.

He went to the reception to inquire, the receptionist was an old lady with gray hair. Her face was wrinkled and had a grumpy look.

“What do you want?” She asked in a hoarse voice.

“Uhmm, I would like to read books,” Eznho nervously asked.

“Are you a member?” The old lady asked while looking Eznho up and down.

“No ma’am, this is my first time here,” He replied honestly.

“You can pay an entrance fee and you could use the library until closing or you could be a member and can come here everytime you want without paying an entrance fee.” She spoke blandly as if she had been saying this a thousand times.

“How much do I have to pay?” Eznho curiously asked.

“Entrance is a hundred gold coins per day, that is just only on the first floor. The second floor is five hundred whilst the third is a thousand.” She answered.

That much?

Eznho was once again shocked by this absurd amount. If he came here every day, then his money would only last him for a couple of months at most.

“What about membership?”

“For the first floor, five thousand quarterly, thirty thousand for the second and fifty thousand for the third. Lastly, you can pay a million gold coins for a lifetime fee.” The old lady answered with a proud tone.

The heck? What kind of library is this? A million? That might as well be the reason for my death.

Eznho nearly fainted due to shock, he did not expect this kind of amount was needed for him to obtain information. He calmed himself down and asked another question.

“What kind of information does the first, second and third floor contain?”

“The first floor contains the basics about almost everything, the second one is more advanced while the third holds some important information. Now kid, hurry and decide,”

The old lady started to get annoyed and answered vaguely.

“Okay, I’ll pay for the first floor just for this day,”

His heart was filled with pain as he paid the fee. He finally entered and the room which felt much wider than before. There were too many books and he had to choose what he really needed due to the time limit. The bookshelves were divided accordingly, some were for alchemy, geography, cultivation, politics, history and many others. He thought for a moment and decided to pick the topics about geography, history and cultivation. At the moment, this were the things he thought he needed the most.

Time to start!

He calmed his mind and decided to open the book about history and geography which is related to each other. The more he read, the more he was amazed. There were so many things he learned, he even forgot about time and finally finished after five hours of non-stop reading.

So that’s how it is,

Too many information entered his mind and it took him time to digest and organize it. According to what he read, a great change happened roughly a thousand years ago. Apparently, the continent they live in is named Crescent Moon Continent due to its shape. The size is so massive that only strong cultivators could travel a large part of it. The continent was divided into various parts which were controlled by different powers.

Approximately a thousand years ago, the continent was only divided between two empires, the Thunder Clap Empire ruled the north while the Ripple Empire controlled the southern part of the continent. But a great change happened when the heavens turned dark for seven days. As for the cause, it was not written in the book which piqued Eznho’s interest. The book called it the Dark Days, the sun disappeared and the only thing that illuminated the world was the moon and the stars.

On the eighth day, the sun rose again but chaos spread throughout the continent like a wildfire. Everyone fought for something, treasures, land, inheritance and the like. It lasted for hundreds of years. The war only stopped roughly a hundred years ago when the division of territories stabilized and the population dropped by a large degree.

As of date, the Crescent Moon Continent was now divided differently. The northernmost part, the tundra region, became the territory of the beast race. Below it was the Thunder Clap Empire but its territory was reduced greatly and the power it holds was far weaker than before.

The middle part of the continent was divided among myriads of sects and independent groups. After that, the territory is divided between the weakened Ripple Empire and the Alliance of Sixty Kingdoms. Below them was the Barbaric Land and the most southern part was the Southern Forest controlled again by the beast race.

This was just the general division and as for the specifics, it was not mentioned. Eznho sucked in a deep breath when he learned about this. He could only imagine the carnage that happened when people fought and died for power. Millions or even billions of people must have died for the territories to be split like that which originally belonged to the two great empires.

Eznho meditated for half an hour to calm himself down and started to read about cultivation. To his disappointment, most of the information he read were things he already knew. Only a small amount was added to his knowledge. He could not help but shiver when he remembered the pain he felt when he acquired such information.

I wonder if what the second floor holds, maybe it has information about the Halo Realm.

He looked at the stairs and decided to come back tomorrow and go to the second floor for more information. After reading other miscellaneous things, the day came to an end and he was forced to leave.

The next day, he came back with great vigor and was ready to learn more about a lot of things. Despite the pain he felt when he paid the fee, he comforted himself by thinking about the important information he would obtain. Wasting no time, he went directly towards the second floor. To him, every second wasted was equivalent to wasting money.

The second floor had the same size as the first floor but looked more spacious due to the lesser amount of bookshelves it contained. There were no people here aside from Eznho, he immediately looked for the same topic as before and immersed himself with it. His eyes were sparkling the whole time, he thoroughly enjoyed reading and learning about the continent and the world.

Whoah!

After reading for a couple of hours, he finally finished and his eyes contained more wisdom and knowledge than before. Just like before, he calmed himself down and organized the new information he obtained.

The tundra region was ruled by the Ice Queen and her underlings which were mostly composed of beasts with the ice attribute or other elements related to it. As for the Thunder Clap Empire, it was ruled by the current emperor, Kidlat. Although weakened, the empire still has some power but was constantly on battle with the tundra region for resources.

As for the middle part of the continent, it was divided into five parts. Northwest is being led by the Alchemy Hall, Southwest is dominated by the Blood Tavern, Northeast’s leading sect is the White Tiger Sect, Southeast is the location of Mercenary City. Lastly, the central most part was considered a neutral ground and the headquarters of the Hand of Midas.

Hand of Midas?

It was the first time Eznho heard this name, according to the information on the book the Hand of Midas was a bank. It is being backed by an unknown force and is the number one bank on the continent. Most of the other banks are affiliated with it.

Going south, the Alliance of Sixty Kingdoms was formed after countless battles and the Ripple Empire was its neighbor. The Ripple Empire survived but it was much weaker than the Thunder Clap Empire so its territory was of course smaller.

The Great Wall was constructed to separate them from the barbaric lands which was south of them. The Barbaric Land was formed by wandering cultivators or people who lost everything during the chaos. It is a chaotic place and people who dominated it changed from time to time. Most people go there to temper themselves and also was a place one has to cross if one wants to go hunt in the Southern Forest or the Green Pine Mountain range which was the border between the Barbaric Lands and the Southern Forest.

The Southern Forest is located at the very south of the continent and is being dominated by the Jungle King. As for what type beast it is, the book did not mention anything about it.

Phew!

Eznho let out a breath after organizing everything.

Never would have I thought that the place I live in is so vast and has a complicated history. Would I be able to visit all these places in my lifetime?

Enzho mused for a moment and imagined himself traveling to distant places, braving dangers and making friends.

Sigh, let’s not think about it for now, I can only visit places once I have enough strength.

He let go of those thoughts and picked a book that contained information about cultivation, specifically, the Halo Realm.

Inside a room at the territory of the River Clan, Joey started to slowly open his eyes. It was blurry at first but it gradually cleared. He was inside a simply decorated room with no one around.

Where am I?

Looking at the unfamiliar environment, he got confused and tried to focus himself and slowly got up. He scanned himself and let out a breath of relief when he saw that nothing was wrong. The last thing he remembered was his consciousness suddenly fading away without any warning. This made him furrow his brows.

He was jolted back to reality when the door opened and an old man in a gray robe entered.

“Elder John?”

He was familiar with this old man due to him being the personal guard of Butchog so he knew almost every person in the upper ranks.

“Good you are now awake Joey, just rest here for the meantime and wait for the summon of the clan leader,” Elder John forced a smile and answered.

Joey could not help but get nervous, his instincts told him that something was amiss.

“Elder John, may I know what this is all about?”

“You don’t have to know for now. Just rest and wait for the summon,”

Elder John went out of the room leaving that sentence lingering on Joey’s mind.

What the hell happened?

Joey tried to figure things out when suddenly a horrific thought came to his mind.

Don’t tell me?

His body shivered and just prayed to the heavens that nothing happened to the father and son he was supposed to look after.

At the same time, inside the secret grounds of the River Clan, the clan leader and the others were still waiting for the clan ancestor’s breakthrough. Everyone waited with great anticipation coupled with nervousness.

Suddenly, the door slowly opened and a vast amount of heavenly energy poured out making everyone feel comfortable. There were even traces of the dao of water with it. After a while, the energy dissipated and an old man came out with a satisfactory smile plastered on his wrinkled face.

Here's a map I drew for you,

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cF0nr9fYW9cV1cOqgPQxRmqn3znypOhf

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  5. NotNice

NotNice Member

Chapter 44
    Chapter 44 Investigate

The old man is the oldest member of the River Clan and the son of the founding ancestor, his name is Wilad River. His eyes had a deep blue color that contained wisdom and intelligence, if you look closer, one could see an illusion that a river was circulating around them. Coupled with his long and smooth silvery white hair, he looked like a gentle old man. He was wearing a blue colored robe with a flowing river design and ripples formed with every step he took as if he was walking on water.

“Congratulations Ancestor,”

“Congratulations father,”

“Congratulations grandfather,”

Zander, Killboy and the others immediately sensed that Wilad’s cultivation had increased again and was only a step away from breaking into the next realm. This made everyone excited and knew that this would make their standing in the city more stable. After losing their founding ancestor during the war, their foundation was shaken and the only thing that held it from collapsing was the protection from the royal family due to their ancestor’s contributions and the fact that they still had Wilad, a peak Dao Formation expert.

Wilad smiled with satisfaction when he saw the members of his clan.

“Thank you, everyone, we can have a meeting and a celebratory banquet at a later date in the grand hall.”

Everyone understood his meaning and departed after offering more pleasantries leaving only Zander and Killboy.

“What happened?”

Wilad’s eyes turned sharp and knew something was off. This made the father and son duo shiver inside, they both knew that Wilad joined his father during the war and experienced a lot of bitter battles. Despite his gentle appearance, hidden deep inside was a war veteran that could unleash a massacre when needed be.

“Father, Taba and Butchog are both dead,” Zander went straight to the point and waved his hand to show their mutilated corpses.

Wilad was shocked and furrowed his brows after looking at his descendant’s pitiful appearance then sighed. He then waved his hand and water covered both corpses and their wounds started to close up making them look better. From what he saw, he could tell that the killer had a lot of hatred against Taba and Butchog. He also knew how the father and son acted but despite that, he did not care much due to Killboy and his son’s presence who both showed great potential. This resulted in Taba and Butchog being pampered too much to the point that they formed unsavory tastes of pleasure.

“Tell me what happened,”

“Father, it’s like this...” Zander started to narrate all the details he knew and did not skip anything. Although he loved his son and grandson, he did not exaggerate and told the events as truthful as possible, aside from his fear or being caught lying, he had his own principles. He lived far too long and knew that exaggerating things might lead to disaster, especially that their foundation was still a little shaky inside the city.

After listening, Wilad sighed again and could not hide his disappointment toward himself and his deceased descendants.

“Perhaps we were too lenient, it could be said that this is partly our fault for pampering both of them,”

“Father,” Zander could not refute what his father said, this was also the reason why Butchog’s wife took her life because she couldn’t bear the shame of being married to a disgusting husband.

“Let’s go talk to Joey and ask him what happened,” Wilad suggested and the trio headed towards the main hall.

The trio was waiting at the main hall while Wilad sat on the main throne. A while later, the door opened, Elder John and Joey walked inside then greeted in a respectful manner while half kneeling.

“Greetings, Ancestor, Clan Leader,”

“Rise,” Wilad commanded nonchalantly but his voice brought pressure when Elder John and Joey heard it.

“Elder John, you may take your leave,”

Elder John acknowledged and excused himself then closed the door. Joey was left their alone feeling all the pressure making him sweat due to nervousness.

“Joey, tell us everything you know,” Zander spoke this time and urged Joey to spill all the beans.

“Reporting to Ancestor and Clan Leader, after I broke through by one minor realm, master Butchog told me to keep it a secret and wait for his command. Due to the upcoming chaos at Sin City, we were asked to evacuate with the sole daughter of the city guard captain, Blue. The little girl was fancied by young master Taba but she did not like him and constantly rejected him. With this opportunity, we secretly informed the local bandits at the Hummingbird Forest about our journey. By the time we were attacked, the little girl’s guardian was busy fighting the bandit leaders and I took the opportunity to deal him a killing blow in secret. After that, the little girl was forced to take shelter with us, without his guardian, it was easy for us to take her inside master Butchog’s residence and feigned ignorance when people started to inquire about her. Young master Taba took her in the basement and after that, I did not know what he did with her. Days later, Blue’s father and his companions came knocking on the door demanding to see his daughter but were rejected by master Butchog. The trio then stayed inside the city according to our informants. The night I lost consciousness, a merchant named Alibaba came in with a new batch of young girls and was offered to master Butchog. I was meditating when they took the girls at the basement, it was around that time when suddenly I could not hold on to my consciousness despite my struggles, that was the last thing I remember.”

Joey was nervous the whole time but was still able to tell his side of the story. Gritting his teeth, he mustered all his courage and asked the question that had been bugging him the whole time.

“If I may ask, did something happen to master Butchog and young master Taba?”

“They are both dead,” Zander answered in a serious manner making Joey’s pupils shrink.

Thud!

“I am sorry for failing my task! I tried to hold on but I just couldn’t. Please punish me for being incompetent!”

Joey kneeled on both knees and started to kowtow while banging his head on the floor.

“Stop, this could not be blamed on you,” Wilad waved his hand and an invisible power landed on Joey making him stand up.

Joey was startled but did not resist, he did not even wipe his bleeding forehead.

“Killboy, take Joey with you and go investigate this matter. Do not confront anyone, just investigate. I do not want us having anymore conflict due to them. We will decide what to do after your investigation, I am hoping for results within two days,”

Wilad commanded and dismissed all of them leaving him alone in the main hall.

“I have to fix everything before my lifespan runs out, sigh, this was my mistake. Father, I have failed you, I was never as talented as you to begin with.”

Wilad mumbled while staring into the distant past, he saw the back of his father. A figure leading a legion against an opposing kingdom, clad in a golden battle armor full of dents due to countless battles. He held a spear in his right hand, standing firm like a mountain that could not be moved. Raising his spear, he shouted and lead the charge fearlessly.

Eznho was in a trance while reading books regarding the Halo Realm. He only snapped back to reality when one of the librarians woke him up from his concentration. Being cut short made him grumpy but there was nothing he could do except leave with dissatisfaction. Despite that, he read all of the important parts and the only ones left were miscellaneous things.

He went straight back home and had dinner with his family, after having conversations with them, he went to his room and contemplated all the things he learned.

According to what he read, the Halo Realm was the real first step in the cultivation path, the Cleansing Stage was a far cry from it and was only considered the preparatory stage. There were many things one could do when they reach the Halo Realm such as having the ability to cast spells and skills using heavenly energy. Aside from that, one's consciousness can now come out of the body to sense the surroundings and what comes with it is heavenly energy.

Meaning, you can now attack using heavenly energy that you have accumulated inside your dantian, albeit, with a limited distance. One of the main reasons for this was because once you enter the Halo Realm your body and soul will have a great transformation.

As for the process, the book has described it but not in great detail – forming a halo of heavenly energy inside the dantian but of course, knowing the process is easy but doing it is another story. Aside from that, another requirement is to have a cultivation method that allows you to form the halo.

I can only truly experience these things once I will break through to the Halo Realm. And another problem is that I don’t have any cultivation method.

Eznho frowned but was more determined than ever, he wanted to do a lot of things but was limited by his strength. His excitement gradually subsided and he started to practice cultivation using the breathing technique he knew.

Everything has its own time, first and foremost I have to reach the peak of the cleansing stage first before anything else.

Killboy and Joey did not waste any time and immediately began their investigation. They started with the guards but it yielded nothing and had the same answer as Joey, they just lost consciousness out of nowhere. Making no progress with them, they went to find Alibaba but was told that he left a few of hours ago with a caravan to make another business deal at the neighboring city and did not tell when he will be back.

With the new information they gathered, they immediately rode the fastest mount available and went to catch up with Alibaba’s caravan. Two hours later, they caught up with Alibaba,

“Lord Killboy, how can I be of assistance? To think that an esteemed individual as yourself would tire himself out just for me,”

Alibaba greeted them with respect but nervousness was slowly building up inside him. Ever since he found out that his servant who was investigating the siblings died mysteriously, he knew something was wrong and planned to get out of the city for the time being to avoid troubles, alas, he moved out too late and was now faced with the current situation.

“Let’s cut the crap, Alibaba, where did you get the girls you offered to lord Butchog the other night?”

Joey did not have the patience for pleasantries and wanted to get to the bottom of this matter and show to the clan that he was still useful.

Alibaba was dissatisfied with the hostile attitude but did not show it.

Che, a servant such as yourself dares to throw his weight in front of me? Hmph! Better to live a mortal and enjoy riches rather than become a cultivator but is someone else’s dog.

“All of them have been acquired from low-class families, most of them have been sold to me and I made sure that they did not have any backings,”

“Are you sure?” Killboy asked with narrowed eyes.

Wait a minute, shit!

Cold sweats ran down his spine when he remembered about that arrogant person who disappeared after selling the eye-catching girl.

“Well,” Alibaba wanted to lie but he was afraid he would be caught.

“I’ll ask again, are you sure?” Killboy was serious this time and emanated a pressure with a small hint of killing intent.

Alibaba did not dare to lie after feeling the pressure that nearly made him faint.

“There was this arrogant guy who came to my shop when I was preparing to go to lord Butchog’s residence. He came in unexpectedly and brought with him an exquisite and good looking girl, he told me her family gave her to him as a form of payment. I was skeptical but she was really a rare merchandise and I was in a rush at that time, so I bought her and offered it to lord Butchog. I told my men to investigate him, but it yielded nothing, he vanished like a smoke.”

Alibaba told them everything he knew, except for the fact about his subordinate's death which he thought was not related to the incident at all. If only he knew...

Killboy furrowed his brows after Alibaba narrated the events he knew, without saying anything, he rode his mount and headed back to the city. There was no point asking about anything anymore, what he needed to do next was find the missing girls and try to figure something out.

After seeing the duo left, Alibaba let out a huge sigh of relief.

“What a mess, I should probably stay away from that city for a while,”

A second later, a burly middle-aged man walked towards him emanating the aura of a Halo cultivator.

“What do we do now?” the burly man asked with a hint of amusement.

“We continue our journey, remember not to tell anyone about Onyok’s death. Who knows what kind of monster we poked this time,”

Alibaba answered with fear and got on his carriage leaving Limber in a daze. He was the one who found out about Onyok’s death, he could still vividly remember his face. A face full of fear and regret, the formations were never triggered and the thing that killed Onyok was his own shattered crystal ball. One could only imagine how the killing happened, with his life experiences, he knew better and did not want to have anything to do with the person behind Onyok’s death.

6. NotNice

NotNice Member

Chapter 45
    Chapter 45 Believe It! (Thumbs Up)

The next day, Eznho gathered all his thoughts and formulated his plans. The first thing he needed to do was earn money while tempering and strengthening himself at the same time. The only way that would cater to his needs was to become a mercenary, most cultivators with no backing would resort to this kind of strategy, it was the only way for them to gain a footing in the cultivation world.

Most of them end up being a mediocre cultivator or worse – dead, but of course, there were those who rose to the challenge and made a name for themselves and gained the backing of Mercenary City. The City had a considerable influence throughout the continent, of course with the large number of mercenaries, very few would gain the City’s recognition.

Mercenary City eh?

Eznho brought out the token Talong had given and mused.

With senior’s strength, I wonder if what kind of influence he holds inside the so-called Mercenary City. Sigh, I can only meet him if I meet his requirements.

Eznho put away the token and made his way towards the branch office of the Mercenary Guild – this was the overall name of all the mercenary groups throughout the continent and its headquarters was located at Mercenary City.

There were three offices located inside the Red Sparrow City, the outer district branch office, the middle and lastly, the inner. The outer district branch handles recruitment and affairs regarding mercenaries with rank E and D while the middle district branch handles rank C and B. As for higher ranks, they were handled at the inner district branch. All of this knowledge had been gathered by the combined effort of him and Budoy.

Eznho has a curious mind so he liked to walk and take his time while observing his surroundings. The city was busy as ever especially that spring had come early, everyone was lively. The more he observed, the more he learned about the world, it was already past noon when he arrived at the entrance of the Mercenary Guild branch office.

The building was a little shabby and worn out, it was obvious it was not being maintained properly. People went in and out nonstop, some were in a hurry while others carried random things for their missions. A guard lazily sat beside the door, his spear even leaned against the wall, it was as if he didn’t care about his job at all.

He was a middle-aged man with a medium build, he had sleepy eyes that could shut off any moment and would even occasionally yawn as if he was bored to death. Eznho slowly approached him and could smell the stench of alcohol from the man.

“Excuse me, senior, I would like to become a mercenary,” Eznho spoke politely.

“Huh?” The man looked at him for a second with his lazy eyes.

“Go back home kid and wipe off that milk from your mouth, stop bothering me,” he waved his palms gently back and forth as if he was shooing a fly.

Eznho’s cheek twitched but did not dare to show disrespect, he made it a habit to stay low key and endure as long as people do not cross his bottom line. He breathed out his irritation and ignored the man then entered the building.

The middle-aged man did not care and just followed Eznho with his lazy eyes.

“What a stubborn kid, let’s see how long you can last,”

He let the matter evaporate from his mind and continued with his lazy posture, his head was even starting to fall.

Eznho walked inside and saw a large hall with numerous busy people emanating different kind of auras, some were checking out the mission lists while others were queuing up in line to submit their mission reports. The hall was at least fifty meters high and with how wide it was, it could easily accommodate thousands of people at once.

His curiosity was once again piqued and his eyes started to wander, there were quite a number of counters that accommodated different kinds of needs. Some people looked at him with cold eyes while others showed contempt but nobody bothered with him, the law was strict inside the hall and people who cause troubles were severely punished.

It took him quite awhile to calm down and found what he was looking for, the recruitment area. There was a little more than forty people who stood in line, he composed himself and walked towards the back of the line.

“Hey kid, we were here first, back off and get behind our back,”

A group of three youngsters aged not more than fifteen were walking towards Eznho. They were being led by a boy dressed in a green robe with spiky hair and an arrogant face, the type of people who liked to bully others. Some people noticed and shook their heads but did not bother to interfere, this type of thing often happened.

Eznho furrowed his brows but he backed off and let the youngsters go first before him. Feeling proud, the arrogant youngster sneered and showed him a face full of disdain and took Eznho’s previous spot followed by the other guys who ignored him as if he did not exist.

“Good boy,” the leader commented then ignored him.

Time flowed on and after half an hour passed without any glitch, it was Eznho’s turn. The female in the counter looked at least like a thirty-year-old woman but she still exuded the passion of a teenager. Her beauty may not be at the top but she had the charm of a fox and a look that liked to tease men. Her clothes were fitted tightly showing her perfect curves and squeezing the two watermelons resting on her chest. This made the new recruits always leave with an intoxicated look on their faces, Eznho was affected but he had a better control over his body than the others, regardless, it still took him a while before he could compose himself in front of the lady.

“Ahem, senior, I am here to apply to become a mercenary,”

Eznho broke the awkward position he was in and tried to look calm as much as possible. The lady smiled teasingly at Eznho with a squinted eye that made his heart beat faster and made it hard to control himself.

“You can call me big sister Lei, what’s yours?”

“Uhmmm, my name is Eznho,” He replied with a slight blush on his cheeks.

“What a lonely name, want big sister to accompany you?” Lei teased again showing a sincere face.

Eznho smiled wryly and didn’t know how to respond.

“Think about it for some time and come back to me when who made a decision,” the woman seemed to be satisfied after looking at the speechless kid and gave him a wooden token with a number fifty engraved on it and the name Eznho at the back.

“Take this and go at the training grounds to have yourself tested, good luck kid, big sister will cheer for you,”

Enzho immediately took the token and bowed then left in a hurry.

Whew, what a scary woman, I should make sure to strengthen my will to avoid being affected by others.

Cold sweats actually ran down his back, if he stayed their any more than he should, he was not sure if he could maintain his self-control and become like the others. After a while, he adjusted his breathing and looked for the way towards the training grounds which did not take long due to the signage.

The training ground was located at the back of the building, it was a wide patch of open land used for sparring, competitions and where tests were held for the new recruits. There were over a hundred people using it right now, some were training with dummies while others fought with each other making the others cheer in unison.

He turned his head a couple of times and spotted familiar faces, the same people who were with him inside a while ago. He made his way towards them and stood again at the back of the line.

Infront of the line was a wooden dummy with the shape of a man but only contained the head and the torso. Beside it was a muscular man with no upper garment showing his body that was full of hardened muscles. He looked fierce and intimidating making the new recruits shiver in fear.

“You’re out! better luck next time and grow some muscles! Next!”

The new recruit who failed showed a downcast expression and silently walked away without looking back with his head bowed down.

“Start!” The muscular man shouted.

The next recruit was a young boy about the age of fourteen, he took a deep breath and shouted making his body muscles bulge, ripping his shirt. This move made the muscular man show a nod of approval.

The boy positioned himself in front of the dummy and gathered energy towards his right hand and punched.

Bang!

A loud sound like a firecracker exploding was produced and wood splinters scattered. The dummy’s chest was mangled and caved in making the other recruits gasp in admiration.

“Passed! Next!” The muscular man shouted and produced another similar dummy. The boy who passed showed a proud look and bowed then joined the others who passed, he was the fifth one.

The next one gritted his teeth and punched producing a ‘thud’ sound but nothing happened to the dummy making him show a look of despair.

“Failed! Go home and plant sweet potatoes instead! Next!” The man was harsh and did not care about the boy’s feeling.

The process continued for another half an hour and it was the boy with a spiky hair’s turn. He stood in front of the dummy and assumed a punching position. With a sharp look on his eyes, he punched with great speed,

Bang!

A loud sound was produced and wooden head flew in the air. Gasping sounds were heard after the head landed on the ground. The muscular man nodded in approval and made him join the others who passed making the boy walk with his nose up high. His two followers soon followed and both passed but not as spectacular as their leader.

People were bewildered and gasped after three consecutive people passed. The dummy was set to endure attacks up to the peak level of the Cleansing Stage, therefore, making it obvious that the boy who attacked was just a step away from forming his ‘halo’.

“Who are those three?” asked one of the spectators.

“If I am not mistaken his name is Paul, the son of the leader of the Axe Gang.” Another one answered beside him.

“Axe Gang?” Everyone who heard it shivered inside.

Axe Gang was the number two gang in the outer district of the city. According to rumors, the gang was overly protective of its members, that is why few people dared to provoke or fight with axe gang members.

A few more people tried before Eznho but nobody passed making the muscular man irritated. At last, it was Eznho’s turn, he tried his best to stay calm but deep inside, he was nervous. According to the rules, once you failed you can only try again after six months. Six months was too long for him that is why he had to pass this test no matter what, he had to give it his all.

Taking a deep breath, he moved in front of the dummy and assumed a punching position. He circulated his energy inside to the maximum and gathered it on his right hand making the air around it distort. Seeing this scene, the muscular man raised his left brow.

Not bad, what a solid foundation and pure heavenly energy.

“Ha!” Eznho shouted and punched producing a ‘thud’ sound. Smoke rose from the dummy’s chest and a centimeter deep fist imprint could be seen. Looking at the seemingly failed attack, Eznho sighed dejectedly.

I guess I have to find other ways to gather money.

Contrary to his expectations, the muscular man shouted the word ‘passed’ with a delight on his face. He immediately collected the damaged dummy and replaced it with a new one. Eznho was surprised but was replaced with wild joy afterward, he bowed deeply to the muscular man and joined the others.

“Pure luck,” Paul commented when Eznho joined the group but the latter ignored him and just stood there in silence while savoring his ‘victory’, he could not wait to go home and share the story with the others back at home.

7. NotNice

NotNice Member

Chapter 46
    Chapter 46 Is Hate Born Of Love?

Another hour passed and the sun had already set, the last recruit to try and hit the dummy actually passed making him the fifteenth person to join the group who passed the first test. With the conclusion of the test, the muscular man stood in front of them with a satisfied face.

“Not bad, for fifteen people to pass today, this is quite a good harvest, good job everyone. I hope you pass your second and final test tomorrow. Who knows maybe in the future we can work together. As for the details of the next test, I will announce it tomorrow morning. That’s it for today, dismissed!”

He did not wait for the new recruits to react and immediately made his way towards the branch head’s office. The new recruits did not dilly dally and separated without talking to each other. Enzho was curious about the others but after observing that everyone ignored each other, he let go of the idea of making acquaintance and went home.

The branch head’s office was located at the top of the building, it was just a simple room filled with books, scrolls and random stuff. Aside from that, the strong smell of alcohol filled the air. A small balcony was built overlooking the training grounds that was lit up by torches. A few people were still training producing elongated shadows.

Two people were at the balcony sharing a flagon of alcohol, the muscular man who tested the new recruits and the other one was the lazy looking guy who stood in front of the building that was met by Eznho earlier that day.

“How're the new recruits? Anything interesting? This stupid punishment is really annoying,” the lazy looking guy asked with irritation while sipping alcohol.

“Well, you pissed the old man, let’s just treat this as a vacation, haha. He even personally sent us here,” The muscular man teased.

“Hmph! Well it’s not my fault now, is it? The daughter of the target was really hot you know.”

Jackie answered while grumbling.

“Hahaha, well because of what you did, we nearly failed the mission,” Mike slapped his thigh while laughing heartily.

“Hmph! We accomplished our mission in the end, didn’t we?” Mike retorted.

“Hahahaha, can’t argue with that, enough about that, a total of fifteen passed, all average except for three people, can you believe that Jackie?” the muscular man answered enthusiastically.

“Really now? That’s quite a lot Mike,” Jackie raised his eyebrow showing a look of suspicion.

“It was really unexpected, the first one is actually someone similar to me who is a body enhancer, albeit not as good looking as me, haha. The second one is actually the youngest son of the axe gang leader.” Mike grinned and drank a mouthful.

“How amusing, that ambitious old man actually wants to have a connection with the guild. Well, if I were him, I’ll probably do the same especially now that his oldest son is a member of the Blood Tavern. A branch member to be exact, the more connections he has, the more power he holds. Not bad actually,” Jackie praised while savoring the smell of his alcohol.

“That’s true, but he will never be able to surpass the Eastwood Gang,” Mike debated.

“I agree with you on that brother, anyway, who’s the third?” Jackie asked curiously.

“Ow, the last one is a dark horse alright, take a look at this,”

Mike waved his hand and the wooden dummy that Eznho punched floated in front of Jackie. He scanned the puppet with his soul sense and was surprised. The other recruits could not see it but the insides of the dummy were mangled and its back had cracks. This result could only be achieved by having an almost perfect control of your power.

“Now that’s interesting, for a kid to be able to do this, he has quite the potential and the foundation, who is he?”

“Haha, that’s what I thought too. His name is Eznho but his name doesn’t ring a bell. Want me to investigate?” Mike answered teasingly.

“Bah, let him grow first. Let us talk after he forms his halo, you wanna bet how many halos he can form?” Jackie waved his hand in reject and while showing a competitive look.

“Okay you're on, my bet is that he will form two,” Mike answered without hesitation.

“Hahaha, that was fast, okay I’ll give this one a blind shot. I think he can make it to three,”

Jackie laughed with delight and drank another cup.

“Three? Even the guild does not have that many people who were able to pull that off. Besides, I don’t think he has the resources to make three halos,” Mike answered with skepticism.

“Well, you gave me no choice, who knows maybe he really is a dark horse, haha,” Jackie answered mysteriously while gazing at the starry sky.

“Alright, let’s make things a little more interesting then,” Mike spoke with a mischievous look.

It was already dark when Eznho made it back, everyone congratulated him when he told them the good news. Because of that, Miss Minchin and little Aiza cooked enthusiastically which produced an aromatic smell that made Eznho and Budoy drool.

“Congratulations!” The trio shouted and all four of them gobbled up all the food served on the table.

After dinner, Eznho and Budoy talked when the two women went to their own respective rooms.

“How is it going Budoy?” Eznho asked with a smile while sipping his tea.

“All is good big brother, actually I have decided to join in the information business,” Budoy answered with determination in his eyes.

“Isn’t that dangerous?” Eznho was a bit uneasy about this. Selling information can fetch quite a sum if you have the right one but it can also lead to endless troubles if one is careless.

“Don’t worry big brother, I will be careful, besides it can also benefit you, you know,” Budoy grinned while trying to justify himself.

“I have no doubt about that, have you told aunt and little Aiza?” Eznho looked at him seriously.

“Well, yeah, aunt agreed and reminded me repeatedly to be careful. As for little Aiza, well, it took me quite a while to convince her but I got her to agree,” Budoy answered with a wry smile.

“That’s good then, I have no qualms about you joining that line of work,” Eznho spoke while gazing at the moon.

“Budoy, both of the path we are pursuing has a lot of dangers, I only ask two things from you. That is to always be careful, there will always be hope as long we are alive so don’t go risking your life for no reason at all. As for the second thing, it is related with aunt and little Aiza, both of us may have our own ways to survive but they don’t have that kind of luxury. They are too vulnerable and to be honest, there are only a handful of people I care about in this world. Do you understand?”

Eznho spoke with great emotions, this reminder came from the bottom of his heart and it was not only for Budoy but also for himself. That is the main reason why he tries to avoid offending other people and get into conflict with them. After all, you will never know what your enemies will do just to get back to you. This was especially implanted on him when he encountered what happened to Blue. Innocent and powerless people are often the victims.

“I understand big brother, don't worry I will die first before bringing a calamity to aunt and little Aiza,”

Budoy was moved by Eznho’s speech and spoke from the bottom of his heart. He looked at Eznho with reverence and respect, he truly felt how Eznho cared for him and his little sister.

“Good,” Eznho grinned and the duo spoke a little more before calling it a day.

It was the middle of the night when the feast finished at the River Clan’s territory. By now, most of the heavyweights in the middle district and some from the inner district have observed Wilad’s cultivation advancement making the clan’s status more stable. They would have to think twice before clashing with them. After everything has settled down, three people were having a meeting at the main hall of the River Clan. It was Wilad, Zander and Killboy,

“What are the results of your investigation?” Wilad spoke with an unhurried tone.

“Reporting to grandfather, after investigating non-stop, it is our belief that the killing is related to Batista and his comrades,” Killboy answered with a serious tone.

“As expected,” Wilad commented with certainty.

“We have another suspect as well, it was a person who disguised as a merchant and sold a girl to Alibaba before he went to Butchog’s residence to offer his goods. We tried to find traces of him and the girl but it led us to nothing. As for the other girls, we found some but unfortunately, they remember nothing at all. It was as if they never entered little brother’s residence,”

Killboy felt a little apprehension when he found out about it, erasing the memory of a mortal is not an easy task.

“Their memory has been erased eh? Well, that doesn’t sound good. He would have to be at least a Dao Formation expert but even then, it won’t be that easy. Even I would have to be extra careful when doing such a thing.”

Wilad furrowed his brows while thinking of something.

“There is something else, there were rumors circulating in the underground market that a member of the Dark Crows has been here in the city for the past month,”

Killboy shivered a little when he blurted the name, of course, this was normal. Any person with a sane mind would feel fear towards people who are experts in the killing business.

“How reliable is the information?” Wilad’s pupil shrunk when he heard the name.

“It is eighty percent sure grandfather,” Killboy answered honestly.

After that, Killboy reported everything he discovered and did not leave out anything. Silence gathered around the hall for awhile.

Sigh, with this information you collected, it could be concluded that Batista and his comrades had somehow hired someone highly skilled to assassinate Butchog and Taba. And this particular assassin had sent a trainee of some sort to execute the mission, hence the wounds. The killer is still a novice who cannot control his or her emotions.”

With his vast experience, Wilad could already fit most if not all of the puzzle pieces. It was even possible that they disguised their gender so it was not that easy to identify them with accuracy.

“Should we pursue them? They are still inside the city,” Killboy exuded an intent to battle and was ready to fight anytime.

“No, let us just let these matters go, let’s say it was Batista who did it, could you blame him? If you were him, would you do the same?”

“This...” Killboy and Zander were speechless, deep inside they know what the old man said was true.

“Even if we do pursue, they would have the moral high ground. Do you want another scandal to spread that would destroy our reputation? That’s not even the worst part, the worst result that could happen is that we would be on the military’s bad side. You can only imagine the consequences, I still have connections but times have changed and we have to adapt,”

Wilad spoke seriously with a stern voice.

“I am pretty sure Batista will not spread the matter about his daughter, what’s done is done. I just hope he does not point his hate towards us, after all, we both obtained losses regarding this matter. As for the Taba and Butchog, we will announce their death in a few days and perform a proper burial for them. Try to suppress the reason for their death as much as possible, make the arrangements.”

“I only have at least a hundred years to live more and will not be able to make another breakthrough. You should focus your thoughts on breaking through the Dao Formation as soon as possible Zander. Both of you are the future pillars that would hold our foundation, don’t let this matter be the reason for your downfall.”

Wilad stood up and walked towards his residence, his back looked lonely as the moon shone on him.

“Yes, Father,”

“Yes, Grandfather,”

Zander and Killboy acknowledged with complicated looks on their faces. They had to stabilize everything before Wilad’s time runs out. As much as they loved Butchog and Taba, the future of the clan comes first. They could only put the matter in the back of their mind and wish that their souls find peace.

Batista and the group had been staying at the middle district the whole time. There were two reasons for their action, first, Blue is currently stable but she is still unconscious which made Batista worry, the second was they were waiting for any news about Butchog and his son, Taba. According to their informants, the father and son had not been seen ever since Blue was retrieved from their grasp. They had their own speculations but they were still waiting for confirmation.

“What do you think brother?” Wilky asked Batista while they were sharing a flagon of wine. Wilfred had returned to Sin City to watch over it temporarily, leaving the duo to further investigate.

“I am not too sure either, information about those bastards had been kept tight. But not being seen for days is really suspicious, let’s just keep waiting while waiting for little Blue to wake up.”

Batista answered with hatred in his eyes. He will never let go of this feeling for the rest of his life. Just thinking about his daughter’s hardships made him want to charge and do a massacre. The only thing that keeps him at bay is the fact that his daughter is still alive.

The next day, Eznho and the other new recruits assembled early in the morning at the training ground. Everyone was serious and at the same time excited, this would be the last test and if they are able to pass, they would have the chance to make a name for themselves. Every wandering cultivator had to scour resources on their own and one of their main sources of living was accomplishing missions for the Mercenary Guild or other organizations and obtaining resources by completing them.

“Alright, the last test you would be performing is actually very simple. You just need to complete at least one Rank E mission.”

Mike announced with high spirits while looking at the reaction of the recruits. Everyone was shocked, the second test usually consists of sparring with each other.

“Complete a mission? Isn’t that too early for us?” one of the new recruits asked nervously.

“You’ll do missions one way or the other, so why not now? If you have any problems, you can just come back next year after I’m gone.”

Mike answered nonchalantly making the recruit shut himself up.

“Any more questions?” Mike asked with a glare that resulted in silence.

“Good, within three months, you have to at least complete one Rank E mission. Failing this mission means you cannot retake the recruitment test for one year. But of course, because this test is a bit different, there will be rewards which will personally come from me in the form of spirit stones. You only have three chances, failing three times would result in disqualification. With hardships comes rewards so the more missions you accomplish the more rewards you gain with a maximum of three successful missions. One last thing, accomplish this mission with your own effort or else,”

He gave everyone a sharp gaze that contained a deadly warning making everyone shudder in fear. Seeing the recruit’s frightened faces, Mike was pleased with himself and turned around to leave.

“See you in three months,”

“I wonder how many spirit stones will he be giving out?” One of the new recruits blurted out with excitement.

“Tsk, poor peasants, talk about rewards after you accomplish your mission, hmph!”

Paul harrumph with disdain while showing a provocative stance.

“What did you say?” A well-built boy questioned with hostility.

“You heard what I said, got a problem with that?”

Paul sneered as he looked at the boy then left with his buddies not bothering to wait for his answer.

“You-!” the boy was about to retaliate but stopped himself from doing so due to the strict rules set in place and thought of something.

“Tsk, all bark no bite, why don’t we enter the arena and see what you got?”

“Hahaha, what an idiot!” Paul laughed with mockery as if he was hearing the joke of the day but did not stop or turn around and just left with his companions. This made the boy even more humiliated but there was nothing he could but endure.

Just you wait, pray that we don’t meet outside or else, hmph!

Eznho and the others just watched from the side and did not intend to interfere, some were even disappointed when the fight did not occur. After everyone lost interest, they dispersed and went their separate ways.

Eznho went inside the building and headed straight to the mission listings. There were multiple small cubicles that could only fit one person, this was the place where you could choose your mission. After a brief period of waiting in line, Eznho had his turn. There was a small screen inside made of formation which contained a lot of information. He was amazed by it and wondered how these things were made.

He touched his finger on the “Rank E list” and a countless number of missions popped up on the screen. He took his time to pick and chose a plant collection mission which was relatively safe. It was his first mission so he had to be careful and use it to test the waters first. He memorized the mission number and went to another queue where they issued the mission details.

“Mission number 05679E,” Eznho spoke clearly towards the middle-aged female inside the counter.

“Give me your badge,” the woman ordered blandly.

Eznho gave him the wooden badge that was given to him the other day which gave the woman a surprise and looked at Eznho with pity.

“Here you go, this is your mission details,”

She handed back the badge after registering together with a scroll. Eznho opened the scroll to make a quick check and after confirming it was the mission he picked, he gave his thanks and went out of the building.

Eznho went home and studied the mission details, he needed to collect five stalks of Star Orchid which mostly grows on stone cracks, particularly on cliffs – that was the danger he had to face. This kind of danger was relatively negligible as long as he was careful. He practiced cultivation again and called it a day. This mission had an unlimited time, so he was not worried about any time limit.

The next day, he went out to buy the things he needed and went to scout for information such as maps and common location of Star Orchids. He also went to the library to gain more knowledge. This preparation lasted for a week before he was confident that he was ready to start the mission.

That night, the family had a sumptuous dinner, Eznho estimated that the mission would take at least two weeks to a month so they cherished the time they had with each other before Eznho will leave for the mission. Minchin decided to work at a restaurant and little Aiza would go to school to learn about things which Eznho gladly agreed to.

That week, the news of the death of Butchog and Taba River had been announced by the River Clan which spread like wildfire. As for the details of their death, nobody was entirely sure and different rumors have spread, some even speculated that the heavens have been enraged and sent down its punishment.

People showed sympathy but it was only a pretense to show good faith with the clan. Most if not all were cheering inside, the father and son did not have a good reputation around the city after all.

As for Batista and Wilky, they triple checked the information and was sure that the father and son duo were really dead. Although it was not in his hands, Batista’s ill feelings were a little bit uplifted. As for revenge? He was well aware that it would just lead to his destruction, besides, it would be pointless because the culprits are now dead.

He had no choice but to focus his attention on his daughter instead. There was no point staying in the city now, so without waiting for his daughter to wake up, they slowly made their journey back to Sin City. This city had terrible memories for his daughter, so he wanted her to wake up in a place where she feels secure.

As for Eznho, he heard about the news through Budoy but was nonchalant about it as if he had nothing to do with their death. Bringing all his needed equipment, he left early and did not plan to wake up everyone, their goodbyes have already been said and no need to do it all over again. However, Budoy was waiting for him at the door,

“Let me escort you to the gates, big brother,” He offered.

“Okay, sure, let’s go, time waits for no one,” Eznho grinned in response.

It took them a while to reach the Eastern Gate, Eznho, together with Budoy had a healthy horse in tow with them. Eznho bought it the other day, for him to have a smoother journey. They both stopped at the gate and gazed at the horizon where the sun was starting to rise carrying with it bright rays that illuminated the world.

“See you soon, brother,” Eznho spoke with a bright smile.

“Take care, big brother, we’ll be waiting,” Budoy looked at him with moist eyes but was holding himself back.

The two hugged each other tightly and Eznho started to walk towards the exit without another word. Budoy watched as his big brother’s silhouette disappeared in the distance.

Come back safely, big brother.

As for Eznho, he rode his horse which galloped at full speed towards the west leaving dust on its trail.

Adventure, here I come!

Note: This is the last chapter of Book 1, I would like to say thank you to everyone who gave my novel a chance. All I can say is, THANK YOU AGAIN! I plan to continue on writing but the releases would be sporadic as I only do it during my free time. I hope you would still find time to continue reading and enjoying my novel. Cheers!

8. NotNice

NotNice Member

Chapter 47 Start of Book 2 Yay!
    Chapter 47 Mother Nature Is Calling

Snow melted and the cool spring visited the Carson Kingdom. Birds were chirping while animals started to wake up from their hibernation. Streams started to flow with fresh water from the mountains while fishes swam and jumped as they welcome the new season. Flowers started to grow from the ground and trees were starting to grow fresh green leaves.

Eznho was riding his horse while he deeply inhaled fresh air as he headed for the Stallone Mountains where he would search for the Star Orchid. His mood was affected by his environment, it has been a while since he savored the flavor of mother nature. He followed the road and reached a small village by noon, villages like this were common throughout the kingdom. Most of them were occupied by mortals who lived by hunting or farming.

This particular village was a common stop for travelers so a small restaurant and a couple of living quarters were made by the locals. He stopped by and ate lunch then continued on his way. The journey was uneventful but he occasionally came across caravans and travelers like himself. The sun had already set when he reached the next village which was his destination, the village was located in the outer part of the Stallone Mountains. He spent the night there and the next day he woke up early and paid one of the villagers to take care of his horse.

He needed to travel by foot now because the horse would just be a hindrance and it would not be of much help due to the terrain. Judging by the map he had, the nearest location where Star Orchids commonly grew was ten kilometers from the village. Taking a deep breath, he made sure to be on top of his game and started his journey.

Here we go!

The terrain was filled with towering trees, rocks, bushes and boulders. He occasionally saw some wild animals but none of them had turned into beasts. (Note: Think of wild animals as the counterpart of mortals, they are animals who are not able to absorb heavenly energy.)

It only took him an hour to reach his destination, he was now faced with a gray rocky cliff with a height of about ninety meters. He looked up and could see some plants protruding from the cracks but none of them were what he was looking for. Due to his cultivation, his eyesight was far better than an average person and could clearly see everything within a hundred meters. He furrowed his brows and started to walked around to look for the plant. He spent half an hour but was met with disappointment,

“Obviously, this would be the first place people would look into, sigh,

He muttered to himself but was still optimistic, after all, this was just the first stop. Reading his map, he headed to the next spot which he reached after a quarter of an hour. This cliff was lower than the other one which is approximately fifty meters high. He looked around and his eyes lit up fifteen minutes later but dimmed after five seconds. Turns out, it was just a stem and it did not even have a bud yet.

“This is a good sign at least,” Eznho spoke with a positive mind. What he needed was a nearly blooming Star Orchid or better yet a fully bloomed one.

Continuing to search for the places marked on the map, he was constantly met with disappointment. Evening came and he already checked seven locations with no result. He set up camp at the top of one of the cliffs and roasted a rabbit for dinner. After a round of cultivation, he lied on his back and looked at the night sky that was filled with countless stars. He was filled with awe,

“How beautiful, is it possible be to travel across the stars?” he reached out his hand and made a grasping motion.

One day,

He thought to himself and closed his eyes.

The sun had not yet peeped but Eznho got up early to practice cultivation. Now that he finished cleansing his marrow, the last step was to cleanse and strengthen his internal organs. Upon reviewing the information on his brain, he had a vague understanding of what to do.

Dragon-Tiger Roar

This was the final technique he needs to master in order to reach the peak of the Cleansing Stage. He only needed to chant a mantra to do this, but of course, it is easier said than done. After a round of breathing technique, he stood on the ground with his left foot forward. His left knee was slightly bent forward while his right leg was stretched towards the back, his right hand raised in front of him forming a seal.

He chanted the mantra in his mind and took a deep breath but nothing happened, he was not disappointed and continued this a few times. Luckily, he was alone and no one could see this awkward moment. It was already his tenth try and he felt something move, it was only a little movement but this made him happy.

Gaining his momentum he continued until the movement become stronger, his intestines felt like they were snakes moving inside his body which was a little creepy. Nonetheless, this did not bother him much and continued until his twenty-fifth try. His innards started to tremble uncontrollably which became stronger and stronger until,

“Blerrgghh!”

Eznho became pale and vomited a sticky yellow-greenish fluid from his mouth which tasted bitter. But this was not the worst part,

“Gluurrgghh!”

His stomach started to growl which made Eznho panic,

“What the heck is this cultivation technique!?”

He grumbled and gathered all his strength to go beside a nearby bush. Ten minutes later, Eznho came out with a relieved pale face and flies started to buzz around the bush where he came from.

“Am I suppose to suffer like this every day?”

He did not feel well, luckily, once he practiced the breathing technique, he felt much better. Although, every hour or so, he had to find a bush to hide into to relieve himself. He even had to refill his water container often because he was thirsty all the time.

“What kind of torture is this!?” he cursed inwardly when night came because even during sleep, he had to answer the call of mother nature.

The next few days were hell for Eznho, the area around his eyes was dark and he started lost weight due to this events. He badly wanted to stop but he was positive this would lead to something good. Of course, Eznho knew he could use pills, herbs and medicines to pass this stage but they cost too much and from his point of view, it was a waste of money.

A group of hunters was passing through the area where Eznho stayed and were aghast when their noses were assaulted by a nauseous smell.

“What the hell? Who made this place their shithole?”

The muscular leader shouted with anger and humiliation, this was their hunting ground and somebody made it their personal toilet.

“Leader, look,” one of his subordinates pointed where a campfire was made.

Everyone pinched their nose while closing in on the burnt woods.

“This was place was used at least two days ago,” the leader spoke while examining the charcoal but veins were already popping on his forehead.

He scanned the area and saw another bush not far away from the camp that was surrounded by flies.

“This way,” he ordered his men and followed the trail of smelly bushes.

Just you wait,

The leader was furious, he was the strongest man in his village and was worshipped by everyone and yet he was tracking a person by following his self-made breadcrumbs. This was a matter of pride, this place was their territory so they had to catch the perpetrator to recover their dignity.

“Boss, what if it is one of those cultivators?” one of the younger ones asked.

“Hmph! You think they would have no pride and do a thing like this? Besides, even if he is a cultivator, I doubt he is that strong, a strong cultivator would not waste his time in the outer area. Most of them are hunting in the middle and inner area of the mountains. Just you wait, if I find him, I will sew his butthole and make sure he will never be able to do his business again,”

The leader answered with pride, he was confident in his own strength. A long time ago, their late village chief came across a body cultivation technique when he was adventuring in the inner area of the Stallone Mountains and he was the only one in their village who made a progress with it.

“Achoo!”

Eznho who was refilling his water container when he suddenly sneezed,

Aunt Minchin and the others might be talking about me,

He thought to himself and took a bath because he felt filthy after his hellish experience. Although his agony continued, the frequency slowed down and would only happen every six hours and he felt his innards had somewhat evolved. He only consoled himself by thinking about the result that he would gain after mastering the technique.

According to the information, after completely mastering it, his innards would become sturdy and would not be easily hurt when absorbing damage. Besides that, he can unleash a powerful roar and could be used to attack opponents.

Another two days passed and his body had already adjusted, he no longer suffered like before. He was now brimming with vigor and was ready to focus his attention on his mission. He posed again like before and concentrated to the extreme, after a while, his insides started to vibrate which was slowly increasing in intensity,

“Haa- blerggh!”

He shouted and attempted to unleash a roar but he actually vomited black blood which was a sign of purification.

“Come on! This technique is so gross,” he grumbled to himself but had no choice but to endure. He was about to continue with another round when his ears twitched, he could vaguely hear something out in the woods.

“Who’s there? Can I help you with something?”

He furrowed his brows and became cautious then started to grip his daggers which hang on both sides of his waist.

Rustle

The only thing that answered him was the howl of the wind and the rustling of leaves.

“I know you are there, come out on the count of three or don't blame me for attacking,”

He started to get nervous and tightened his grip on his weapons. A while later, the sound of footsteps could be heard heading his way. Five men who only wore beast skin to cover their groin and held spears came out of the woods with a ferocious look on their faces.

“Hey kid, how long have you been here?”

The leader asked without any politeness, after all, Eznho was only a kid who was not even fifteen years old yet.

“Uhmmm, a week maybe,”

Eznho answered but his body was alert and was ready to take action anytime, he could feel that the one who spoke was not an ordinary person.

“I’ll cut to the chase and save us both the time, were you the one who made our hunting ground a shithole?”

The leader was also cautious because he did not want to jump to any conclusions yet, there were many kinds of cultivators and he might accidentally provoke someone who would bring calamity to their village.

“Uhmmm,”

Eznho’s cheek was a little flushed and did not know how to answer. He was pretty embarrassed.

“It’s you isn’t it?” the leader spoke and his eyes became sharp producing an intimidating aura.

“Look, mister, it was an accident, I ate a fruit and it made my stomach upset, I am really sorry,”

Eznho tried to find an excuse like a child who was caught stealing cookies from the cookie jar. He was really embarrassed but there was nothing he could do, what’s done is done.

“Hmph! You think you can just come in our territory and do whatever you like?”

The leader sneered and the group formed a semi-circle. Of course, he did not want to kill, he just wanted to intimidate this kid who looked like an easy prey for them. After all, nobody was hurt, it was just a matter of pride. He could not even see any trace of arrogance from this kid which was common for young cultivators who had a significant background.

“Mister, I don’t want any trouble, I just came here to do a mission, I really am sorry for what I did. What do you want?”

Eznho’s face grimaced, he really did not want to fight, he could tell that these people were locals and did not want to hurt them. Besides, he did not feel any killing intent and had a vague idea of what they were trying to do.

“Kid, if you want to go out of this place unharmed, you better compensate us with something,”

“With what?” Eznho asked.

“Ten gold coins,” The leader answered with a stern voice.

“Fine, here you go,” Eznho immediately produced ten gold coins from his chest pocket and laid it on the ground which made the other group flabbergasted.

He really paid?

“I’m really sorry mister,” He bowed and started to back up. Ten gold coins were nothing compared to risking his life. Add to the fact that he was really embarrassed by what he did.

“Wait!” the leader shouted which made Eznho furrow his brows.

“Kid, are you looking for Star Orchids?” The leader asked which greatly surprised Eznho.

“How did you know?” He asked with caution.

“We followed you for a few days and you always passed by some of the cliffs. The only thing that interests outsiders that involves cliffs is the Star Orchid,”

The leader spoke with pride and confidence, he was the lead hunter and was knowledgeable about the area.

“Let me see your map, most of the cliffs here had been emptied out. I can show you places where the plant might not still have been harvested.”

He stretched his hand which made Eznho skeptical. Eznho was unsure but he was tempted, after all, he did not want to go running around like a headless chicken. He slowly walked towards the group and brought out his map then handed it to the leader. The leader did not speak and brought out a penlike object and marked the map.

“Here you go, although these places are dangerous, there is a high chance they still have what you are looking for,”

Eznho looked at the map and saw six locations that were marked,

“Thank you, mister,”

Eznho bowed with sincerity, he was still cautious but could not sense any ill intent from the man.

“Treat it like a compensation for the gold, by the way, you can call me Nando,” the leader introduced himself.

“Okay, my name is Eznho, again, thank you Senior Nando,” Eznho also introduced himself and left the area.

“Boss, I think that kid is loaded, why don’t-“ the youngest one spoke but was interrupted by Nando.

“Tsk, you know nothing Jon, that kid did not even felt intimidated and was ready to fight us. Besides, he did not reek of blood unlike the others, he might be a beginner but I could feel that he is strong for someone his age, even stronger than you,”

“Then why don’t we collect this plants and sell it to them?” Jon asked again.

“Kid, you really know nothing, don’t you? Collecting these plants will only bring us calamity, the human heart is full of greed. Despite our good intentions, it is hard to predict someone else’s,”

Nando spoke with a grave tone, this was due to his accumulated experiences. He had witnessed many times how cultivators fought because of small things that even ended up in a bloodbath.

“Let’s go,” He picked up the gold and went on their way to trade it for weapons and other necessary items for their village.

9. NotNice

NotNice Member

Chapter 48
    Chapter 48 Cliffhanger

Eznho camped on top of a hill that night after escaping from that embarrassing moment. Firewood was crackling while oil was sizzling from the wild bird being roasted. Eznho tore a leg and bit it with gusto while reading the map.

Four of the six locations were located in the outer area while two were in the middle are. Each location was a bit far from each other and he could at most cover two areas in one day. After finishing dinner, he made his plans, practiced a round of cultivation and called it a day.

The morning mist covered the Stallone Mountains while morning dews were falling from the leaves. Eznho was dashing through the forest and got to the location he was aiming for. The cliff was beside a stream and it was a hundred and fifty meters tall. He looked up and started walking to scan the area, a couple of minutes later he was overjoyed to see a Star Orchid hiding in one of the small cracks in the middle area. It was really well hidden, Eznho was just lucky because the sun was shining directly at the crack and exposed what was inside.

Suppressing his excitement, he prepared himself for the climb, he scanned the area again and made an imaginary path on his mind. He took a deep breath and started his free climb, although it was his first time doing this, he was confident due to his accumulated strength. A fall from a seventy-five-meter height may injure him but it would not kill him unless he was really out of luck.

Taking advantage of the cracks and protruding parts of the cliff, Eznho was progressing smoothly and was halfway from his target. Another half an hour passed and finally, he reached the crack. The crack was actually bigger up close, it was at least a foot in length and five inches wide at the middle. After stabilizing himself, he reached out with his left hand and was ready to uproot the plant when suddenly,

Sssss!

A pair of yellow eyes snapped open that glowed inside the crack, it opened its mouth revealing a pair of fangs that were dropping venom. Without hesitation, it struck like lightning wanting to bite Eznho’s hand. Sensing danger, Eznho’s hair stood up and immediately withdrew his hand.

Snap!

The force of the snake’s mouth closing actually produced a sound due to its force. Without wasting any time, as soon as he withdrew his hand, Eznho’s left hand reached out for his dagger and slashed, cutting the snake’s head off like a hot knife through butter. Blood spilled and the head went down the cliff followed by its body.

“Whew, that was close,” Eznho’s heart was still palpitating as he wiped the sweat from his forehead.

“This dagger is really sharp, not bad.”

He examined the dagger and actually nodded in approval. It was one of the of daggers that were gifted to him by Talong and was his first time using it. After putting it away, he reached out his left hand again and uprooted the Star Orchid and put it in a special box. Wasting no time, he started his descent and reached the bottom an hour later.

After washing himself at the stream, he collected his things that he hid under a rock and found a place to rest. He brought out the wooden box that could preserve plants for at least a month and opened it.

The Star Orchid had a green steam and four thick leaves, it had many thin roots and the flower was halfway through blooming. He closely examined it and could faintly see a pattern that resembled the night sky. He sniffed and could smell a fresh scent that smelled like the breath of nature, pure and clean.

He closed the box and put it away and scanned the other parts of the cliff when he stumbled on the body of the snake that he killed earlier. It had brown skin and some weird pattern started to form on its back. It was a meter long and was thick as Eznho’s arm. Eznho closely examined it and could faintly feel heavenly energy pulsing from the dead snake.

“Hmm? Its actually evolved recently, its strength is somewhere around the lower bracket of a Rank 1 beast.”

Beasts were ranked according to their strength and Rank 1 was the lowest. Every rank is divided into four from low, mid, late and peak. Rank 1 is equivalent to a Cleansing Stage Cultivator, Rank 2 is to Halo Stage and Rank 3, the Seeker Stage. But of course, beasts have a slight advantage due to there tenacious vitality and body.

Eznho could not identify this beast as it had not completely evolved yet and could not show its dominant bloodline and characteristics.

“Lunch is served I guess,” Eznho grinned and peeled the snakeskin then put it away to be sold later on. A while later, smoke rose from beside the stream.

After leaving only the bones, Eznho scanned the remaining area of the cliff but found nothing. He immediately went on to the next cliff but to his disappointment, it yielded him nothing. The sun has set in the western sky and it was time to call it a day.

The next day, Eznho traveled towards the next cliff but found nothing again. Holding on to hope, he went for the next one and was excited to actually see two stalks of the Star Orchid. The cliff was the highest he had been which was at least two hundred meters high. He was looking down the bottom and gulped, if he would fall, he could actually die.

He found a sturdy tree and tied the rope so he could rappel down the cliff. Slowly and steadily, he reached the first stalk which was thirty meters from the top. It was fairly easy to obtain it so he climbed back up again to relocate his anchor to get the next stalk. After finding the perfect place, he once again descended fifty meters below to get the next one.

“That was pretty easy,”

Eznho was smiling as he looked at the three stalks inside the wooden box. After resting for a bit and enjoying the view, he went on to the fourth location but sadly it had no Star Orchid on it. The next two locations were pretty dangerous as it was located in the middle area. This area was the territory of Rank 1 beasts. He had to be extra careful, beasts were territorial after all.

Eznho slowed down his pace when he reached the middle area of the Stallone Mountains. His senses were on high alert all the time, he already rerouted a couple of times to avoid the beasts. Although he can actually fight them, he preferred not to, to avoid unnecessary complications.

He finally reached his destination a couple of hours later. The cliff was really high with a towering height of two hundred and fifty meters. He sucked in a cold breath after looking down, it even made his feet itchy and his palms sweaty. Walking with caution, he scanned the area and found a stalk fifteen minutes later. It was about a hundred meters down but there was a problem, it was near a bird’s nest. The worst part is, it actually had two eggs on it, so an adult bird must be somewhere nearby.

Darn it, should I risk it?

Eznho was conflicted, he would be in great danger if the adult bird would come while he was rappelling, he would become a sitting duck if that happens.

No, it's not worth it, too risky, better be safe than sorry,

He abandoned the idea and scanned the other parts of the cliff but sadly, it only had that one stalk. After pondering, he decided to check the other place first and come back here if he really had no choice.

While Eznho was having his own adventures, the other new recruits were also doing their own missions. Paul, together with his two comrades, Gani and Kato were sneering as they were staring down on a new recruit who was laying on the ground with blood all over his clothes.

“What now? I thought you were tough? Didn’t you want to fight me?”

Paul ridiculed while kicking the wounded boy, it was the same boy who challenged him on the training grounds.

“Ughh! You coward! Attacking in the shadows and claiming to be someone strong? Pweh!”

The boy glared back with hatred and spat. He was on his way to the First Misty Cliff when he was ambushed by Paul out of nowhere.

“Hahaha! You really are an idiot! Muscleheads like you are the most annoying kind of people. It's your fault for not paying attention.”

Paul was not angry but found it funny instead. He lost interest and unsheathed the saber strapped on his back.

“Just die like the dog you are,”

Slash!

Blood spurted and the boy’s head was separated from his body. Paul rummaged through the corpse and found a box, a pair of claw weapon, a brown bank card and other miscellaneous things.

“Not bad,” Paul remarked and nodded in satisfaction.

He opened the box and found two stalks of Star Orchid, he then closed it and tossed it to Gani while keeping the other valuable things.

“Your lucky Gani, now we only need three more to complete your mission,”

Gani had a dark, brown skin and was actually good looking, he had a tall nose and deep-set eyes. His long black hair was neatly tied around his back with a spear on his hand which was his choice of weapon.

“Thank you brother,” Gani grinned and put the box away.

“What now, where do we go next?” Kato asked nonchalantly.

He was tan skinned with very short hair, his eyes were sharp and he held a glaive in his right hand. The glaive was taller than him by at least half a meter with a curved metal blade.

“According to the map, the First Misty Cliff is nearby and it may have Star Orchids on it,” Paul answered with reverence in his eyes.

“Father told me that that cliff is actually made by a sword beam that came from the heavens a thousand years ago that stabbed the earth. According to him, there are three of those cliffs with the biggest one in the middle of the Stallone Mountains. The two smaller cliffs were already fully investigated and the people who were able to go to the bottom found treasures which brought bloodbath throughout the land. But the biggest in the middle still remains a mystery. Many experts tried to go to the bottom but nobody succeeded. According to the reports, they kept on descending but could never reach the bottom. One day, I’ll be the one to reach the bottom and sweep through the continent,”

Paul spoke with pride and ambition.

“The Third Misty Cliff had long been reserved for you brother,” Gani and Kato spoke with a fawning tone. They call Paul their brother but they both knew, they are only considered subordinates. Of course, if Paul really rose to prominence, their status would also soar with him.

“Naturally,” Paul answered with certainty.

“Let’s go,” He ordered and the trio dashed leaving the boy’s corpse to be feasted upon by beasts.

Eznho reached his destination but it was already evening so he had to camp first and scout the area in the morning. The next day, he woke up early and practiced the Dragon-Tiger Roar but only had a small progress.

Patience Eznho, patience.

He consoled himself, despite his slow progress, he could feel that his inner organs were getting stronger and tougher. Gathering all his thoughts, he went to the edge of the First Misty Cliff and looked below. Mist gathered thirty meters below and it became thicker downwards. Eznho could barely see fifty meters from his position.

“According to the information, there are three of such cliff with the biggest one at the centermost part of the Stallone Mountains,”

He muttered to himself as he recalled all the information he gathered. Looking at the other side, he could see another cliff a hundred meters away from where he was standing. If you look from above, the place actually looked like it was stabbed with a sword.

Focusing his vision to the max, he slowly walked at the edge and carefully checked for Star Orchids. Time passed and it was already two hours later when he spotted one approximately forty meters below him.

“Gotcha!”

Eznho was elated and prepared then checked his surroundings. After confirming he was alone, he tied the rope and started his descent. The more he descended, the more the temperature started to drop. He already reached the thirty-meter mark and his vision started to become limited.

With the mist on his way, he slowed down and finally reached his target. Without delay, he uprooted it and started to ascend, he was creeped out by the place as if something was lurking below. Eznho wanted to go up as soon as possible, he was twenty meters from reaching the top when he heard something.

Damn, someone is here,

He gritted his teeth and hastened when three heads popped up from above.

“Well, lookie here, we got a cliffhanger,” One of them spoke mockingly.

Eznho could not clearly see their faces due to the sunlight but he had an idea who they were.

Don’t tell me it's them?

He cursed inwardly, he remembered Paul and his two companions who were obviously not good people.

“Its actually you, kid. Haha, what a coincidence, mind if you share your loot?”

Paul laughed with delight, he enjoyed the misery of others.

“What do you want?” Eznho spoke with coldness.

“Well, why don’t you throw the Star Orchid and we will be on our way?” Paul grinned.

Are you kidding me? This is straight up robbery!

Eznho gritted his teeth but he was in a bad position.

“Why would I trust your words?” He tried to delay and think of a solution.

“You have no other choice kid. Hurry up, I don’t have time to waste on you,”

Paul unsheathed his saber and put it on top of the rope.

“I’ll count to three, one, two!” He shouted.

“Wait!” Eznho started to panic but had no choice at the moment.

The most important thing, for now, is for him to survive. He brought out the box containing the four orchids and throw it upwards with reluctance. Gani caught it and opened it, he was elated when he saw four Star Orchids.

“Good boy,” Paul grinned then was replaced by a malicious smile. He pressed his saber which cut the rope halfway.

“See you around kid, hahaha,” He then put away his saber and the trio walked away.

Eznho’s pupil shrank when he felt the rope was cut.

Damn you!

He breathed deeply and ascended with the fastest speed he could muster. He was five meters away from the top when the rope finally gave in. Making use of a protruding rock, he circulated his heavenly energy on his right foot to boost his jump.

With the boost from his heavenly energy, he reached and passed the edge and was about to land when his face fell. The trio was still there with ridicule plastered on their faces.

“I told you, he could make it,”

Paul spoke with a nonchalant face and threw the dagger he was holding in his right hand towards Eznho who was still mid-air. The dagger whistled through the air bringing death towards Eznho.

Shit!

Eznho’s face paled but acted without delay and used his right hand to get the dagger from his left waist.

Clang!

With great speed, he used it to deflect the incoming dagger but he was forced backward by the attack. The edge was now out of his reach and gravity started to pull him down the cliff. Knowing that he could not do anything to reverse the situation, his eyes became sharp and circulated heavenly energy towards his right hand.

“Curse you and your family tree!” He shouted and threw the dagger with all his might.

The trio’s pupil shrank, the attack was unexpected and was coming very fast towards Paul. Despite the danger he was in, Paul did not panic and with a decisive gaze, he circulated his energy towards his head to protect it. At the same time, he leaned his body to the right while tilting his head to avoid the incoming dagger.

Sssskk! Bang!

Blood dripped on the ground, Paul was breathing heavily. It was a close call and he barely dodged the dagger. A three inches horizontal wound appeared on his left cheek oozing with blood. The dagger continued on its path and blasted apart a boulder from behind the trio.

Eznho smiled with bitterness when his attack failed, he looked towards the sky as his fall accelerated. The faces of the people he cared about flashed on his mind, his Aunt Minchin, Budoy, Little Aiza and his Big Brother Martin. Aside from that, he actually felt at peace while facing death.

Is the end of my journey? How pitiful, I’m sorry everyone. I wish all of you find happiness.

10. NotNice

NotNice Member

Chapter 49
    Chapter 49 Roar!

Crack!

Miss Minchin was washing the dishes when the plate she was holding suddenly cracked. She had a very uneasy feeling which made her nervous.

Little Ez? Please be safe,

Eznho was the first person that popped up in her head, she could only pray to the heavens to watch over the little boy.

…..

Martin was patrolling the city wall at Sin City when he suddenly became restless as if something bad had happened but he doesn’t know about it.

What’s this feeling?

He furrowed his brows while deep in thought. He had a vague feeling that it was related to Eznho but ever since Batista and Wilky came back, they had not spoken to him yet. The last information he had is that they were not able to find him which came from Wilfred.

“What’s with the gloomy face brother?” A voice came from behind Martin which jolted him back to reality.

“Brother Dave? It’s nothing, I just had a very bad feeling out of nowhere that’s all,” Martin answered with a forced smile.

Martin and Dave have actually become sworn brothers, aside from the fact that Martin saved his life, Dave liked Martin’s optimistic attitude.

“Is it your little brother?” Dave asked with curiosity.

Martin has talked about Eznho a lot, it could even be said that Dave already knew fifty percent of Eznho’s life.

“Sort of,” Martin answered.

“I am sorry brother, something really bad happened to my little sister so father and my two uncles weren’t able to focus their attention when they were at Red Sparrow City. But don’t worry, as soon as my little sister wakes up, I’ll make sure that you and father will have a proper meeting. That’s a promise,” Dave put a thumb’s up and was brimming with positivity.

“Thank you brother, despite my little brother’s timid attitude he is one tough nut,”

Martin grinned and could only hope for the best. The sworn brothers continued their patrol while chatting.

…..

Inside Captain Batista’s residence, everything was quiet. Even the maids did their best not to make any sound at all. Batista had not walked out the door ever since they returned and stayed beside Blue’s room the whole time making his brother’s worry.

Blue’s room was simply decorated but almost everything was blue in color. The walls, curtains, the bed, dolls, and many others. The curtains moved while air circulated around the room, Batista was asleep beside the bed while holding his daughter’s hand. Blue was covered in a sky blue blanket, she was sleeping their peacefully as if nothing horrible had happened to her.

A while later, her eyelids began to twitch a little, as time went by the movement became stronger until it slowly opened. As it opened, a pair of sky blue eyes peeped but deep within those eyes were emptiness, as if they were dead, there was no life on it, like a living corpse. Together with her eye-opening, her hands moved waking Batista up.

“Blue?” Batista was a little groggy but when he saw that his daughter finally opened her eyes, he instantly awakened from his drowsiness.

“Blue!” He blurted and wanted to hug but stopped himself, afraid that he might hurt her in some way.

“Father?” Blue moved her lifeless eyes in confusion, then suddenly, dark and horrifying memories came crushing into her.

“Ahhhhhh!!!” She shrieked while clutching her head wanting to stop the memories that were released like a dam in her mind.

“Please, Stop!” She was trembling all over with terror in her eyes as if someone was out to get her. Tears were pouring down like rain, she was truly scared and was begging for it to stop.

“Blue! What’s wrong?” Batista was out of his wits and did not know what to do.

He gritted his teeth and hugged his daughter as tightly as he could while trying to stop his tears from falling. No father would ever want to see their daughter in a condition like this. It was an unbearable pain for Batista as if his heart was constantly being stabbed by daggers.

“Father is here Blue, you are safe now, hush now my little girl. Nobody will ever hurt you again, shhhh,”

Batista’s voice was cracked but he did his best to be strong while rocking her daughter to comfort her who was trembling in his embrace. Feeling the warmth and safety of his father’s embrace, Blue started to calm down then went back to sleep due to exhaustion, mind and body.

“I am sorry Blue, father was a coward, I was afraid of the consequences of my actions and have let you suffer instead. I am sorry,”

Finally, tears were falling non-stop from Batista, he truly regretted the fact that he hesitated to save his daughter. If he could get back in time, he would have charged into Butchog’s residence regardless of the consequences. Alas, there is no medicine for regret.

…..

At the same day, Budoy and little Aiza both were restless, they were anxious but they could not find the reason why.

…..

Awooo!

The wind howled echoing throughout this foggy place, it was cold and eerie. When the wind stopped moving, the place was so quiet that you could probably hear a needle hitting the floor.

Eznho struggled to open his eyes but could not, as time passed, the struggle continued until his right eye was half opened. As for the left eye, it was bruised and inflamed making it impossible to open.

“Arrgg!”

Eznho was in a lot of pain that he wanted to shout but was only able to groan due to severe weakness. The pain was so unbearable that he lapsed in and out of consciousness multiple times. An unknown time had passed and he was able to adjust to the pain and maintain his consciousness.

With great concentration, he scanned his body and was shocked by what he saw. His body was riddled with injuries, internally and externally, if not for the fact that his body was sturdy, he would have died without a grave.

“Haaa, Haaa,”

He was breathing heavily but did not give up even though his body was screaming in pain. Circulating his heavenly energy, he concentrated it on his right arm to make it heal faster. After an hour, he could finally move it albeit with difficulty.

Slowly lifting his right arm, he reached out to his chest pocket and took out a bottle of blue pills. Using his mouth, he removed the cap and swallowed it with labor. The pill melted on his stomach bringing a sweet aroma that circulated around his body reducing the pain he felt. His eyes actually felt moist as if he saw the light at the end of a long dark tunnel.

After consuming it, he took another one and his superficial wounds started to heal and the bleedings stopped. He checked his body again and found out that most of the injuries were found on his left side with multiple fractures and a dislocated shoulder.

There were only three pills but he did not hesitate to take the last one which further improved his condition. He did not know how long he has been unconscious so he wanted to heal as soon as possible. After the last one was fully absorbed, he was now able to sit. Cold sweats ran all over his bloody body. His clothes were in tatters like a homeless person. As if by instinct, he started to use the Heaven-Seizing Breathing Technique. At first, it brought pain but as time went by, the pain lessened and was replaced with comfort.

Days went by and finally, after using ointments, medicines and heavenly energy, the only remaining injuries were on his bones and other internal organs which would heal for a longer time. Eznho leaned on his left side against the cliff wall and realigned his dislocated shoulder.

“Arrggh!”

The pain came rushing in but Eznho endured it with ease, with what he had experienced, he was now more or less tolerant of physical pain. After another round of breathing technique, he brought out all his items for inventory.

He had dried meat, some medicines, a couple of herbs, a dagger and other miscellaneous things.

“I can go on without food and water for a week before I start to weaken. If I don’t get out here, I can only last for a month, give or take,” Eznho muttered to himself while massaging his temple, he was in a tight spot right now.

After collecting his things, he scanned his environment but could only see a meter around him due to the thick fog. He found out earlier that he was actually on a ledge, a meter wide ledge. Fog was everywhere, making the place a bit cold and damp, he tried to look down but could not see anything except for the fact that it gave him goosebumps.

Gritting his teeth, he struggled to get up while leaning on his left side against the cliff. He decided to follow the ledge going left. It was damp and slippery so he walked slowly to avoid falling down. Minutes passed and he finally reached the edge, it was a dead end making Eznho go back in frustration.

A while later, he got back to his starting point and went the opposite way of where he came from. To his disappointment, it was another dead end, he had no choice but to go back.

I have no choice but to try and reach the peak of Cleansing Stage to have a shot at reaching the Halo Stage.

When a cultivator passes the boundary and reaches the Halo Stage, his body and soul would transform giving him the ability to use soul sense to scan his surroundings which would give Eznho the chance to climb back up. Because for now, climbing blindly could result in death.

…..

Haaaah!

Haaaah!

Haaa-ngeaaw!

Shouts echoed throughout the fog followed by a sound that seemed like a cub’s cry. This has been going on for days making Eznho shout again in frustration.

“What am I doing wrong? I followed everything,” he gritted his teeth while talking to himself.

Feeling that he was getting agitated, he sat in meditation and reviewed everything again, step by step, he has done it right making him frown in confusion.

“Something is missing,” he thought and continued to meditate to think things through.

“What is it?” This question kept going on and on in his mind. After a deep breath, he posed like before and closed his eyes with great concentration.

Little by little, he was slowly going into a trance. He found himself in a different world, the blue sky was so bright with clouds rolling by and birds of prey were flying but kept a distance from Eznho. He was at the top of a mountain, looking over the green carpet of forestry. Although Eznho could not ‘control’ his body, a strange sensation was being felt by him. It felt like he was the king of the world, he was the ruler of this territory and anyone who will trespass will face his wrath.

At the same time, Eznho opened his eyes showing a sharp glint that looked like the eyes of an apex predator. He opened his mouth and…

GROOOAAARR!

The air in front of him vibrated in a conical shape making the fog in front of him roil. The mighty and intimidating roar reverberated throughout the cliff making the nearby wild animals and beasts near the cliff scared witless. They ran as fast as they could away from the cliff as if it was the lair of a mighty beast.

“Whoa!” Eznho himself was frightened by the roar when he woke up from his trance.

“That was scary,” He remarked but at the same time, his face was beaming with smile and pride.

So that was it, I was missing the meaning behind the roar, not only could it be used to attack, it could also be used for intimidation.

He finally did it, even though Eznho have never heard a beast’s roar, he was pretty confident the roar he produced was not far from it.

“All I have to do now is get the hang out of it, the problem is, it takes at least one-fourth of my heavenly energy to actually use that technique,”

Although that is the case, he did not mind, after all, he was alone in the place and could practice in peace. After recovering his lost energy, he began to practice again and again until he perfected it and finally reached the peak of the cleansing stage.

Finally, I can now attempt to breakthrough but how do I do it? I don’t have the resources,

Eznho became gloomy, he was so keen on reaching the peak of the Cleansing Stage that he forgot that he only reached the basic requirement to enter the Halo Stage.

Damn!

11. NotNice

NotNice Member

Chapter 50
    Chapter 50 I Am Hungry

While Eznho was thinking hard of a solution, the ring that was from his father glowed a little and started to heat up startling Eznho. But before he could take a look, a white smoke came from the ring and entered Eznho’s nose in the blink of an eye.

This again?

Horror could be seen on Eznho’s face as he braced himself, not long after, an excruciating pain came from the depths of his mind. It felt like needles were poking his soul, he tried to hold on but he could not and he finally lost consciousness.

An unknown time later, his eyelids started to move showing a confused pair of black eyes.

Arrgg!

He clutched his head while trying to relieve an intense headache then struggled to go into a lotus position and do a breathing technique to alleviate the pain. Minutes passed and the pain finally faded away making Eznho breath out heavily.

Putting the matter at the back of his mind, he scanned his sea of memories and a lot of new information was stored. Most of them were related to the Halo Stage and how to break through it. But the most valuable information was a cultivation technique. It was a cultivation technique used for breaking the barrier between the Cleansing Stage and the Halo Stage.

Mortal Ascension Technique

“Hmmm, Mortal Ascension Technique eh? Not a bad name, simple yet holds a deep meaning.” This was Eznho’s evaluation when he read the name.

But is this a coincidence? So every time I reach the peak of a stage, the same thing will happen?

He could not help but wonder, the more he thought about it the more he was curious about his father.

Ah, forget it, let’s just go with the flow.

He shook his head and focused on his breakthrough instead. According to the description, this cultivation technique allows a mortal to ascend and rise above others. It allows them to have a very solid foundation during the Halo Stage. The number one reason for it is because it gives you the chance to form up to three halos.

“Three halos?”

Eznho was not very clear about this, he knows people can form one, two or three halos but he doesn’t exactly know what the difference between the three is. Of course, he could tell that the more halos you can form, the better.

He reviewed all the information and found out that even though he had the cultivation technique, he doesn’t have the resources to make a breakthrough which is a large amount of heavenly energy to break the barrier.

“What do I do? I don’t have a stockpile of spirit stones, not even one.”

Eznho was frowning, a spirit stone is naturally formed from the world which contains heavenly energy. Cultivators mine them which is then refined to be used for cultivation purposes. They are divided from low grade, medium, high and top grade. It is an item highly sought after by cultivators, although gold is still the most used currency, if possible, cultivators prefer to trade using spirit stones.

Despite the disappointment, Eznho was not discouraged and started to calm his nerves before attempting a breakthrough.

Let’s do this!

He sat in a meditative pose with both hands on his knees, each hand forming a seal. After that, he started to chant mantras on his mind. Looking from the outside, nothing was happening but as time passed, the fog close to Eznho started to flow. At first, it was faint, but then they started to move in a circular motion around Eznho wrapping him like a cocoon.

At the same time, inside Eznho’s dantian, heavenly energy came pouring in. He could feel that his dantian is full and started to control its flow. Following the instructions from his newly acquired information, he controlled the flow and made it go in a circular motion forming the vague shape of a halo. More heavenly energy joined the flow making it more stable, they followed the pattern until the shape was getting more and more distinct.

The more the shape was getting stable the harder it was to control it making Eznho sweat and the formation started to crumble then the heavenly energy dispersed and scattered like before.

Haaa, Haaa, that was harder than I thought,

Eznho was panting and performed breathing techniques to calm his mind and energy. Even though he failed, at least he had an idea what to do already making him excited.

Again,

The process was repeated once more and this time, Eznho lasted longer than before. Despite repeated failures, he did not give up and continued with great determination.

…..

Haaaa, Haaa, what is going on? Why can’t it stabilize?

It has already been days since Eznho attempted to form his halo but the only progress he made was that the time he lasted became longer before the halo formation crumbled. He even lost count on how many attempts he already made.

The process is correct but it won’t hold when I remove my control. The moment I let go of it, it crumbles. The only explanation is that I don’t have enough supply of heavenly energy to make it stabilize. Darn it! What should I do?

After contemplating for some time, Eznho was more or less sure what he was missing. He needed a vast amount of heavenly energy to boost the creation of his halo as stated in the information he knew.

I have to get out of here before I run out of things to eat.

He had already lost count on how many days he was stuck in this place. Only half of his rations remained, he estimated it would only last about five to seven days. Once he runs out of it, it would only be a matter of time before he will start to starve.

Gritting his teeth, he did not give up and continued to try and form his halo. Time did not wait for him and finally, his rations have been consumed making him start to feel despair. Despite his situation, he endured and tried his best. Days passed and he started to feel the pain of starvation.

His mouth became dry, his stomach was constantly growling and felt as if his body was eating his own flesh. His eyeballs were already sunken and his skin became wrinkled. He even ate his clothes due to extreme hunger leaving him butt naked. His ‘junior’ even shrunk in size like a baby’s thumb.

His consciousness became blurry and he was starting to hallucinate, sometimes a crazed look could be seen in his eyes but he tried his best to maintain his sanity.

Then one day, he stood up with an insane look and held his head up high,

ROOAARRR!

Without any warning, he used the Dragon-Tiger Roar towards the cliff and the mist started to churn giving him a split second chance to have a clear look five meters in front of him.

HaHaHaHaHa!

He let out a manic laugh and jumped towards the cliff then covered his fingers with heavenly energy and used it to stab the cliff holding him in place.

ROOAARRR!

He let out another roar to look what was ahead of him and started to ascend using his fingers and clawed himself up. This process repeated five times then his voice became hoarse and his throat painful. He was already running out of heavenly energy when his sanity came back.

Shit!

He was about to fall when he used his last remaining energy on his right hand and stabbed it to the cliff slowing down his descent until he finally gone down back to the ledge where he came from.

This is hopeless, what a joke. I would prefer to have died during the fall rather than having false hope and dying cruelly like this.

He bitterly smiled but he already accepted his fate. The only things that were left with him were the jade pendant, the ring, the pouch and the dagger. He was already exhausted, his body felt numb and stiff. With great difficulty, he held his dagger and started to carve letters in front of him.

Here lies Eznho, to whoever finds my body, all my belongings will belong to you. My only wish is that you return this jade pendant to Red Sparrow City and give my jade pendant to Miss Minchin who lives on house number 69 in the middle district.

“I’m sorry everyone, sigh.”

After writing his last testament, he carefully placed all his belongings in front of him and assumed a lotus position and planned to pass away in meditation. After accepting his fate, his senses became clear and his mind peaceful. He felt like everything did not matter anymore and the only thing that existed was him.

…..

It has already been over a month but Eznho has not yet returned and everyone was worried sick back at Red Sparrow City. Miss Minchin was restless the whole time while little Aiza tried to comfort her.

“Don’t worry Aunt Minchin, big brother is super strong and I am sure he will be back before we know it,”

Little Aiza tried her best to put on a smile but she could not hide the worry and sadness in her eyes.

“Thank you, little Aiza,” Miss Minchin wiped her teary eyes and hugged the little girl.

A little while later, Budoy came in with a dispirited look on his face.

“How was it?” Minchin asked with great anticipation.

Sigh, I am very sorry aunt, I am useless, the only thing I could find was that big brother headed to the Stallone Mountains and never came back. The caretaker of his horse even sold big brother’s horse because he did not come back to take it. I wanted to follow him but it was too dangerous, the place is crawling with wild animals and beasts.”

Budoy sat on a chair with a gloomy face. When it was already a month but Eznho did not come back, he started to investigate and even braved dangers just to follow his big brother’s tracks but alas. He was not a cultivator and did not want to risk going in the mountains. It was not that he was afraid of dying, what he was afraid of was leaving his sister alone.

“Budoy, you already did what you could. I am sure your big brother will not blame you and might even scold you if he knew what you did. We just have to wait for him,”

Minchin tried her best to put on a brave face despite what she feels. She had to be strong for Budoy and little Aiza. After all, she was the adult and had to hold the family together.

…..

Sin City

Blue has been staying in her room ever since she regained consciousness and refused to go out despite his father’s urgings. She still had that empty look in her eyes and all traces of her childhood was lost making Batista feel bitter every time he looked at her. She has been visited by her two uncles and her brother and she tried to put on a smile despite her feelings. Not leaving her room for more than a month actually took a toll on her and she decided to visit the garden to watch the blooming flowers. Her maid wanted to accompany her but she refused and preferred to be alone.

At the same time, Dave and Martin were having a chat while having tea in the garden.

“I am sorry brother, things became complicated during father’s stay at Red Sparrow City so they had no time to find your little brother,”

Dave had a helpless look on his face while apologizing to Martin.

“It’s alright brother, I understand. Maybe I’ll go there myself in the near future. I really miss that kid,”

Martin answered with a positive outlook.

“Why don’t we go together? I haven’t had a vacation in a long time.”

Dave grinned and sipped his tea.

“That would be great, I am looking forward to visiting that city,”

While the two were chatting, Blue walked into the garden gaining the attention of the two.

“Blue?” Dave was surprised and nearly spat his tea.

“Hey, Blue! Why don’t you come here for a second?”

He waved his while calling out Blue’s attention. Blue was surprised and walked towards the shade.

“Blue, let me introduce my sworn brother to you, I believe you haven’t met him yet. This is…”

“Eh?” Before Dave could finish his sentence, both Blue and Martin spoke with a surprise at the same time. Both of them thought hard and tried to think where they saw each other.

A while later Blue’s color became pale while furrowing her brow. A memory has been triggered when he thought about the day he met Martin. The more she thought about it, a vague figure of a boy was forming in her mind but she could not see his face.

Arrgg!

Forcing herself actually brought pain to her head and she started to fill dizzy.

“Blue! Are you okay?” Dave started to panic when he saw his younger sister’s complexion. He got up and actually carried Blue when she was starting to lose her balance.

“I’ll have to excuse myself brother,” He looked at Martin with a confused face and headed to Blue’s room leaving Martin in the garden with a blank face.

Martin did not know what happened, leaving him in a confused state while looking at Dave’s back who was carrying Blue back to her room.

Note:

Chapter 50, Yay! Thank you for reading everyone, despite the sporadic release of chapters.

12. NotNice

NotNice Member

Chapter 51
    Chapter 51 Savior

While Dave was carrying Blue and heading on to her room, he sent a message to his father at the same time. By the time they arrived, Batista was already there waiting anxiously.

“What happened?” He immediately asked with a worried tone while letting Dave lay Blue in her bed.

“I don’t know father, she just felt dizzy all of a sudden,” Dave answered with concern.

“Blue, my little girl, are you okay? How are you feeling?” Batista wasn’t in the mood to investigate and probed Blue’s condition.

“Father, I am okay, maybe I was just overwhelmed because I haven’t been outside for a long time,” Blue answered with a forced smile.

“That’s good to know Blue, okay you better rest then and don’t force yourself, okay?” Batista spoke with a doting smile and kissed her on the forehead.

“I will father,” Blue answered and closed her eyes.

…..

After Dave explained what happened to his father, they immediately headed towards the garden where Martin was restlessly sitting, he even unknowingly drink all the tea except Dave’s cup.

He was snapped back to reality when he saw the father and son duo approaching.

“Greetings, Captain.” He stood up and saluted.

“How is Blue?” Martin nervously asked while looking at Dave.

“Don’t worry brother, she is doing alright, she just needs some rest,” Dave answered with a grin to ease the mood.

Whew!

Martin heaved a sigh of relief after hearing Dave’s answer. He was afraid he might have done something unintentionally to the little girl.

“Martin, have a seat,” Batista spoke seriously making Martin nervous again.

“Yes, Captain,” Martin obliged and sat down while rolling his thumbs together.

“Tell me, Martin, have met my daughter before?” Batista inquired.

“Uhmmm, I think so Captain, if I am not mistaken it was a little over three years ago when we bumped into each other…” Martin narrated what happened that day.

Batista who was listening was able to connect the dots and had now a clear picture of what happened.

But why would that event trigger something from Blue?

He was confused at the moment and felt like he was missing something but a fog was blocking his view.

I think I should ask Blue, later on, to get at the bottom of this.

“So that’s what happened, I understand, sorry for the disturbance. I shall take my leave now,”

Despite being far superior to Martin, Batista respected the man. Not only because he saved his son but also because of his great character. Martin just looked at the departing Batista with confused eyes.

“Sorry about that brother, father is just being overprotective when it comes to my little sister,” Dave patted Martin’s back while showing an apologetic smile.

…..

After Dave and Batista left the room, Blue opened her eyes. It was still empty like before but deep inside there was a hint of light, a light that illuminated the darkness within her.

“Was it really him?” She mumbled to herself.

When she woke up from that nightmare, she remembered most of it but not the face of her savior. She tried many times to remember it but could not, leaving her in frustration. But when he saw Martin, she vaguely remembered the incident that day wherein she saw the boy who was with Martin. She could never forget those eyes, black and lonely like he was alone in this world.

That was the moment that triggered her memory to recall the face of the boy who wore a bloody dress that saved her from hell.

Who is he? What is his name?

Although she remembered everything now, she did not know anything about the boy.

Sigh, should I tell father?

She was not sure what to do at the moment, although she trusted her father. She did not want to inconvenience her savior.

…..

A day had passed and Blue was feeling better, the morning sun had just risen from the east when his father visited her. Blue looked at her father with a complicated gaze, she already had an idea what was coming but she was still undecided on what to do.

“Good morning, my little girl, how are you feeling? Did you sleep well?” Batista asked with a warm smile while bringing milk with him.

“Good morning father, I feel better now,” Blue answered back politely while taking the milk that was offered.

She drank a mouthful before putting it on the bedside table.

Sigh, I’m sorry to bother you early in the morning Blue, I am just worried and want to make sure that everything is okay. Do you have something to tell father? Don’t worry Blue, you can trust father.”

Batista spoke gently and did not want to rush Blue. During this past month, they talked quite a bit although Blue did not talk much about the incident, she mentioned that she was saved by a boy but she could not remember his face. This puzzled Batista because the person that delivered her that night was far from being a boy. Although there was a possibility that he might have used a disguise, he still wanted to clarify everything first.

Blue looked at her father for a long time while still struggling with what to do. After some time, she sighed helplessly, she did not want for her father to worry and at the same time, she did not want to lie. She looked at her father with seriousness and spoke,

“Father, promise me first that you won’t tell anybody about this.”

“I promise, I will take everything with me to the grave,” Batista did not hesitate to make the oath.

“When I saw big brother’s sworn brother yesterday, I was reminded of an incident years ago. That day, a boy was with him, I saw his eyes and they were lonely. When I remembered that boy, my memories came back and the boy that rescued me had the same face and eyes like him, they were similar. Although I am not a hundred percent sure, they may be one and the same person,”

Blue narrated what happened while looking at the window as if she went back to the past and became the girl who nearly bumped into the horse.

“This…” Batista was shocked and could not believe what he heard.

“A-Are you sure about this Blue?”

“Hmmm, I wish I could see him and thank him in person,”

Blue nodded in response while she showed a pair of yearning eyes. The boy that rescued her was the light that saved her from the darkness, it would be her greatest regret if she was not able to thank him personally.

What kind of coincidence is this? To think that the boy we neglected to search was actually the one who rescued my little girl?

Batista was flabbergasted for a moment, never could he have imagined that such a thing could happen.

“Father, if you plan to find him, please don’t make things hard for him and don’t inconvenience him.”

With his father’s temperament, she was sure that he would try to find the boy.

“Ah?” Batista was jolted back to reality when Blue spoke.

“Don’t worry Blue, father knows what to do,” Batista reassured her daughter.

“By the way father, I have one more request and I wish you could grant it,” Blue looked at her father with pleading eyes.

“What is it?” Batista answered with curiosity.

“I wish to join the military,” this time, Blue showed a decisive face that would never back down.

“What?” Another shock ran through Batista, never in his wildest dream that her daughter would want to join the military.

“I want to join the military,” Blue repeated her sentence and stood her ground.

“This….sigh, give me some time to think about everything first, okay?” Batista was helpless at the moment and wanted to be alone to think about things. His mind was a mess right now and needed time to digest everything that has happened.

“I’ll be waiting for the good news father,” Blue answered with a forced smile.

…..

Eznho found himself in a pitch dark place while barely hanging on to his consciousness. He did not feel pain anymore, his body was stiff and numb. Despite that, he was at peace, his senses were heightened to the extreme, although he knew what was waiting for him, he was calm.

Is this the afterlife?

He wasn’t even actually sure if he was still alive or if he was now dead and on his way to the underworld. But as time passed, his senses became more and more sensitive.

Hmmm? What is that?

Out of the blue, Eznho “saw” a stream of white gas hovering in front of him. He wasn’t sure what it was but it looked so pure like it wasn’t tainted by the filth of the world. It even felt like it has always been there but Eznho was just not able to detect it before.

Is this the light you see when you die?

He was confused right now and did not know what to do, he tried to “reach” for it but could not, he was only able to watch it hover in front of him. Despite his failure, his curiosity got the better of him and he focused to get a better picture.

This? Don’t tell me…

When he concentrated on the white gas, he could actually feel a familiar feeling from it.

How could this be?

He was taken aback when he realized that that feeling was the same feeling when he was using heavenly energy. The only difference was the white gas in front of him was purer and held more energy within it.

Hahaha, is the heavens really toying with me?

If he had a face right now, it would portray a self-mocking picture. He felt helpless and bitter knowing that the heavens are playing with him as if his existence was just for entertainment. Despite that, he could not ignore his urge to live and survive. He might have already accepted that he is dying but that doesn’t mean he would ignore hope. Now that he started the path of a cultivator and saw a chance to explore the world, he did not want to give it up easily. Aside from that, he still wanted to spend time with his family.

Fine! I’ll play along with your game,

With a determined mind, he mustered all his remaining strength and tried to do the Mortal Ascension Technique once more. After doing the technique, he was starting to feel his fleshly body again. He felt an unbearable pain again, the pain of having your flesh dried out, the feeling that if he were to move even a muscle, it will break.

Enduring the pain, he circulated the last tidbits of his remaining heavenly energy. This action caused the pure white gas to move closer to him until finally it entered his body and went with the flow.

Whew!

When the white gas entered his body, a comfortable feeling came with it. Like a traveler stuck in the desert who finally found an oasis. As time went by, an unending stream of white gas entered his body and finally his consciousness went back to his body. He could feel every inch of his body again screaming in pain. If someone was to look at him right now, he looked like a mummified person.

Gritting his teeth, he tolerated all of this and concentrated on continuing the process. Little by little, his nearly empty dantian was starting to get filled with a purer heavenly energy. The shape of a halo started to form again, the process took faster this time as Eznho was now proficient. As the shape took form, he increased the speed and sucked more energy in making it circulate faster until he could not hold on anymore and let go of the control.

This is it!

He was filled with anticipation as he let go, contrary to what happened before, this time the halo remained intact and did not collapse. It floated on his dantian silently rotating. Like a river of heavenly energy flowing infinitely.

Wow! It looks quite spectacular.

Eznho could not help but marvel at the spectacular sight, he felt awe and excitement at the same time.

Let’s go all the way then!

Suppressing his joy, he still planned to form more halo so he calmed his mind down and began the process again. He did the same thing as before, although it was a lot harder to form the second halo, he was successful. The second halo floated beside the first one, both looked identical as if they came from the same shell.

The last one,

He did the same thing as before but to his disappointment, it crumbled.

Damn! One more time!

He did not want to give up so he did the same process but this time, he poured more effort in, making him barely hold on to his consciousness. More and more white gas entered his dantian to form the third halo, he tried to hold on as much as he can then finally, after all his suffering, the third one stabilized and floated beside the two forming a triangular formation.

Is it done?

Eznho felt exhausted and was about to collapse when the three halos pulsed at the same time and they circulated faster. They circulated in unison while sucking all the white gas in a much faster pace than before. Eznho felt bloated and did not know what to do, he felt like a balloon ready to burst. He could not hold on anymore when all the excess energy suddenly dispersed and went into the different parts of his body cleansing and nourishing it.

Eznho was bathed in white light while the process was ongoing, he felt lighter and refreshed as if he was being reborn. The baptism lasted for five minutes and everything went back to normal. Eznho still looked like a mummified person but unlike before, he was pulsing with life and vitality like a strong robust young man.

His eyelids moved and his face twitched then after a while, it snapped open showing a pair of deep dark eyes that were filled with clarity and enlightenment.